• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Crohn's and constipation.. Who knew

my little penguin

Staff member
Constipation

Although Crohn's disease is typically characterized by diarrhea, constipation may occur when the the intestines swell and prevent waste from being excreted.
From above link
So why oh why don't more gi's know this

We have talked about this with our GI - as Alex is more likely to be constipated than have diarrhea. (Which is good and bad all at the same time). :poo: (Always wanted to use that emoticon, laughs...)

What makes me upset is why don't docs understand this?

As many of you know Grace has struggled horrible with C. Even while on full EN. Our GP gave us magnesium citrate. With in 3 days Grace has no problems what so ever with C.

I have oftened wondered if Alex' C is Crohn's related or sports related (dehydration?). So it is interesting to hear that other kids face it too. The doctor told him if he gets "bad" (though she didn't describe what bad would be), then he could try an over the counter metamucil (sp?) type drink. However, he's never used it.

Glad Grace got relief from the MC!

When L was in the ER and they took an x-ray looking for his obstruction, it showed a ton, and I mean a TON, of backed up poo. The GI just kept pointing and saying, "Poop, poop, poop, poop. Lukas, you must say goodbye to your poop." Then he had 100 gallons of Miralax and an enema. Constipation has always been an issue for him. I'm grateful that our GI knows his poop!

Catherine

Yes, she was in severe pain. The first time was 4 week prior to dx to the middle of her severe weight.

The second time led to her current course of pred, the gp was so concerned she rang the GI for advice. GI request the X-ray to rule out bowel obstruction. We also had blood taken that day and they had her lie down. Pain was rated as a 6.

In Sarah's it mean flaring.