• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

How long on SCD before adding in foods?

My son has been on SCD for 6 months. He feels great and has more energy than ever! His bloodwork came back today and looked excellent. So, looking ahead I'd always planned on having him eat exclusively SCD for 2 years before adding foods that aren't allowed back. But, now am wondering if 1 year would be sufficient.
Thoughts?
Has anyone completed SCD for a time and been able to add back foods and stayed in remission?

I have wondered about this too. Elaine says one full year after the last symptom is resolved but even for her that is just a good estimate since the original physician passed away before they completed the protocol.

I think whatever you do, you do it so incredibly slow and strategically. It can take a month or two for a food to build up in the system enough to start seeing symptoms. E had to go back on standard diet after being gluten and dairy free (before we were on SCD) and it took a full 6-8 weeks before he was having issues again. So just be slow and cautious.

We have recently chosen to add in potatoes and real 100% cocoa. These foods are okay with paleo but not SCD. We also chose to omit peanut products a few months ago (since they are not ok on paleo because they are extremely inflammatory). I don't think we will try any grains, sugar, etc for at least another year?