• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

6mp

I

imagine123

I've been "diagnosed" with ulcerative colitis since the December of sixth grade (2001). About seven years, I believe. I say "diagnosed" because no one is quite sure if I have Chrons or UC. Still.

It kind of sucked, because there was a scholarship for Chrons, but not for UC. :)

Well, this is my first time on a forum...and I'm here basically because my current doctor wants to try and put me on 6mp. Yes, I read all the scientific literature and horror stories, but it's sort of like, okay what choice do I have?

I've been on Asacol, Prednisone (currently on b/c of flare, hate it), tried Flagil once and threw up for a week, Remicade. Started me on Humira since Remicade was no longer working (that was a test of courage, sticking myself with a needle...) last November, and I thought, hey, maybe this is the last medicine I'll ever need.

And then, here comes a flare. Yep.

So now I'm sick as a dog, trying to juggle college and figure out exactly wtf I can eat (never truly figured that out, other than I have to limit dairy...I'm pretty sure there's something else) and freaked out of my mind about 6mp.

Doesn't it just seem like a last-ditch attempt before colon removal? I'd really like to see me work on my self-esteem with a damn colostemy bag at my side.

Sorry, feeling a bit bitter right now. Something went wrong with my toes (they swelled up and I could barely walk) about a week ago, then I learned I had a chronic (of course) low-grade Staph infection in my eyelids, then I'm taking Organic Chemistry (and I hate chemistry, although I thought it might be interesting to find out the empirical formula of mercaptopurine...I'm not seeing any parent names) and I'm trying to find another job so that I can pay for everything. In addition, I'm all away across the country from family, so it's not like I can just go see them. Besides, I don't want them tripping over something that they can't help.

It's like, I don't want them scared about me because they can't just come and get on a plane and fly over and hold my hand, so I'm trying to hold it all in and be casual about it. I'm an adult now, but I still feel as helpless as a kid.

So, I'm not in a terribly good mood.

Hey, keep your chin up life can send you a lot of challenges, but you have to smash through them. keep a positive attitude and focus on what you want dont focus on what you dont want as you always get what you focus on !! Ive had Crohn's 14 years with 50 operations along the way, you must keep it together, but ahving a moan is also a good thing. Gets it all out.
Mel

Last edited:
The disease is definitely a rocky road. Sorry to hear you're having so much
trouble finding a med that works for you.
It can be even more difficult when friends and family just don't quite
understand the disease, and aren't around for support.
Glad you found the forum, though, keep on posting, we understand and
are here for ya! :)

hi, i'm sorry to hear your feeling sick. I was put on some medicine and they didn't work either until he put me on the 6-mp. Give it a couple of weeks to kick in. I remember when I first started I still couldnt eat anything and I felt horrible. I called my doctor and he said in a couple of weeks he would know if it were working. Eventually it did. Hopefully it works for you.