• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

My story so far. Not yet diagnosed

Hi. I'm new here. I've had an array of irritating symptoms over the past 2 years, I'm an RN and based on test results so far, its looking like Crohns. I've lost 40+ pounds without trying over the past 1.5 years, it hurts to eat and I feel full and bloated whenever I do, I have days where I have HORRENDOUS gas. I have days where I will have 5-6 bowel movements followed by a few days with none. I am very fatigued and have been having night sweats. My WBC is consistently elevated, my iron stores were low (now taking iron supplement) and an abdominal CT showed thickening of the proximal small bowel. I'm in between jobs and won't have insurance until June 1 when I plan to see a GI doc for diagnosis. It all seems to be getting worse and worse and I'm really getting depressed and angry. I also have MS with hardly any symptoms. I just need people to talk to who understand!!

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
Hi, welcome to the forum. You poor thing, I just hate hearing stories about how people can't get the medical care they need because of lack of insurance. :( I'm so sorry you're in this situation. And to have MS on top of the probable Crohn's, you really have been through the wringer. I don't suppose you can call a doctor and ask for a prescription of something like prednisone to get you through until June 1st? Pred is cheap and effective, although as an RN I'm sure you already know that there are a lot of side effects associated with it.

I hope you can get some solid answers when you get insurance again - hang in there and I hope things are tolerable in the meantime.

Angrybird

Hello and welcome to the forum.

I was wondering what type of diet you are following at the moment and whether you notice if certain foods make your symptoms worse? Have you been able to sort an appt for June or do you have to wait for the insurance to kick in first?

AB
xx

The only foods I seem to have MORE trouble with are spicy foods. Eating anything at this point has been causing me severe upper abdominal pain. :(

Regarding prednisone, I've taken it for MS symptoms in the past and I hate the side effects. Therapeutic effects are terrific but I'm up all night and gain weight, which actually would be a good thing at this point, ive become so scrawny. :(

Hello Rottiemom, welcome to the forum.

I'm sorry you are feeling so low at the minute, this is a miserable disease :( but know that you are not alone and we want to help you get through this. It's difficult to weigh up the pros and cons of taking prednisolone, if it would help with the worst of your symptoms would you be able to get some as suggested by Cat-a-Tonic? You mentioned you were between jobs right now.....could you take this time to rest up as much as possible?

There is a sub-forum for people who also have MS below is a link, if you have a look there you will find folks who may be able to give you some support.

http://www.crohnsforum.com/showthread.php?t=48281

Please take care and keep in touch. :ghug:

I'm doing all sorts of resting! :) The last 3 days have been really good for me. Whew! Two chronic illnesses with exacerbations and remissions - just hoping the remissions of each time themselves right for me. :) I'm trying to hold out for June to see the MD. Lets hope I last that long!