• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Can SCD help with fistulas?

I have just had surgery to place 2 seton drains for long standing recto-vaginal and peri-anal fistulas. They found no active disease in my large bowel ( I have crohns) at this time, so it's just the fistulas.
I have read a lot about the SCD diet, which would be doubly had for me as. I have a fruit/honey and nut allergy. However, I would do anything to get rid of these fistulas and just wondered if anyone had experience of the SCD diet helping with fistulas?
X

KWalker

I don't have experience with a fistula but I had some pretty bad problems with an abscess and once I started the SCD diet I noticed significant improvements with the abscess as well. My theory is that when I had diarrhea it was affecting my abscess drainage/pain and since the diet caused my bowel movements to form and become less frequent it allowed my abscess to therefore heal.

KWalker

Yes it was abscesses. In my experience I can say that medicine didn't really help with the abscesses either and only seemed to calm the symptoms while I was on the medicine but once the prescription ran out the problems came right back. Because the diet fixed (what I believe was) the cause, it allowed the abscess a break from the constant irritation caused from diarrhea and frequent bathroom visits and therefore allowed rest which allowed it to start healing

Thanks for your reply, I wonder if it would help me or not. I don't have diarrhoea any more, unless I eat something I know I can't tolerate, so frequent loo visits is not a problem. I just need to find a way to help these fistulas heal, still pondering the SCD x

i have been following a modified SCD diet for about 4 years now, never had any fistulas develop, 1 formed bm per day on average, very little mucus or blood if any. i dont consume the yogurt. and no medications.

yes following anything close to scd will likely help you out in some way.

The whole point of a seton is to keep the fistula tract open. It cannot heal while they are still in place.