• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

My Story and Seeking Tysabri Care

I go by Harv and I'm new to this forum even though I was diagnosed with Crohn's in 2007. I am a 65 year old male and have been receiving Tysabri (Natalizumab) infusions since late 2010 to treat my Crohn's. Many treatments were tried. Remicade had no impact and Humira relieved my symptoms for a few months, but they returned in the Spring of 2010. Tysabri has put my symptoms (knock on wood) completely for the past 2-1/2 years. As scary as the drug is, so far it is all that has worked.

But I have a question for this forum. I currently live in near a very small town in northwest Arkansas, but drive to Little Rock (232 miles each way) each month to the only Gastroenterologist in this state with experience using Tysabri to treat Crohn's. Because of that distance and the costs that trip incurs, I am starting to look for another GI doctor in southwest Missouri or northeast Oklahoma (Tulsa?) who has that experience and would be willing to take on my ongoing treatment. Does anyone on this forum know of such a doctor?
Thanks!

Hi Harv,

I'm sorry I can't answer your question but you have come to the right place to ask it. Definitely have a look at the link AngryBird suggested and maybe you might find a dr there that could help. Hope it works. Best wishes and welcome to the forum.

Just a thought - if you have to keep going to the same doctor and if the cost of the Tysabri is high, you may be able to deduct your medical expenses on your taxes. And mileage is part of the calculation. I forget what the percent/income is, but you can ask an accountant about it - they can also tell you how best to document it. You have to pay everything up front, but your return could be sizable if you're spending a lot out of pocket.

I hope you can find someone closer to home because that is quite a trip every month.