• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Diagnosed Crohns one week ago.

It's been a rough last few months but finally know what's wrong with me. I'm a very healthy person. Or was until the last few months. However, the more I learn about Crohns symptoms I realize I've been having them for years on and off. The pain and other symptoms only recently became bad enough for me to seek medical treatment.

Now that I've been diagnosed I have to make decisions going forward. So far I'm not facing surgery. My doctor has recommended medication. I'm 48 years old and up to now I don't even take ANY medications for anything unless I really have to. I'm a big believer in diet and excercise. I already know with Crohns this will help but is not going to be enough. I was a little too upset at the news of my diagnosis to have been paying attention to the medication my Dr suggested. I refused to take anything until I knew more about Crohns.

I've learned a lot in the past week. I already know some things about eating. I had already figured out I feel better eating very small amounts. I've started recording every single thing I eat or drink in detail. I've already identified some problem foods. This has not stopped me from losing another 12 pounds in the last few weeks. I do well for a few days and then can't eat. After having a bad day or two then I'm afraid to eat. I eventually eat. I eventually have another bad day or two and the cycle repeats. This cannot continue indefinitely. I will lose a war of attrition.

The symptom that bothers me most is fatigue. It's like I feel drugged at times. Getting plenty of rest helps but I cannot find anything to get my energy back. I haven't had where I felt like I had a normal energy level since last September. I'm a very mentally strong willed person so most of the time I push myself past it. I own a business and don't have much choice. I've hired an assistant to lessen my work load but this has only helped to a point. I still have days where...well you all know how the bad days go.

So any advice on medications would be really appreciated. I do have other symptoms but getting control of my weight loss and fatigue are my biggest concerns.

Well...welcome?! I've had crohns for sometime. You are at he right place. Staying positive on other things in your life help. What meds did our doctor prescribe? Getting your meds on track is key to stabilizing your Crohns. Weight is huge for me when I'm flaring. Try some good supplement drinks. Health stores are good for supply and advice. Actually, here you will find some good advice. Get some tests on iron and vitamin levels. You may need some vitamins to help. And, sorry but you will be tired. Sleep helps. Good luck! Sue

I know how you feel but know you are not alone and things could be soooooo much worse. Better I have Crohn's than no limbs as an example.

Always look on the bright side :)

Hello
Sorry you have had this diagnosis, it was a real shock for me at first, but you do get your head around it eventually I promise.

It is great that you are already thinking proactivly about diet and exercise, the healthier you are the easier it will be to bounce back.
Fatigue was a big problem for me , last year I was in tears on a beach because I couldn't join in and ended up wrapped in a blanket feeling miserable - but this year I will be the first in the water and running about - there is light at the end of the tunnel !
My first step was to get on the iron tablets these helped alot , I still take a mild one now even though I am no longer officially anemic. I also take a basic multi vit and vit D spray.
Even now I know about it if I miss taking them for some reason.

Eventually I added juicing to my diet it gives me loads of energy and I highly recommend you check the juicing section in the diet forum.

As for meds you really are in the right place to find out what's best, check with your doctor about what they are offering and then check the forum here for a section on it.

Good luck.

Hello Mr Green,

Welcome to the forum :), here you will fin sub-forums that cover treatment, diet-fitness and supplements and loads of other topics, I think these 2 might best suit yous needs at the minute. You have a fantastic attitude and are doing the right things e.g. looking to your diet and identifying problem foods, it's a good idea to keep a food diary too, recording also what symptoms you have each day, this is also useful when talking with your GI. Do you have any input from a dietitian?

I'm recently diagnosed but like you realized when thinking back that I have been experiencing symptoms for a long time. It's a lot to get your head around. I would agree that the fatigue is awful, sometimes I find myself having an involuntary afternoon nap, I just can't help it :) All I can say is try and rest up when it's possible, I have found that the fatigue does lessen over time to a certain extent. The juicing idea would be worth trying.

I really hope things improve, take care and keep in touch. :ghug:

Angrybird

Hello and welcome to the forum :)

You have definitely started on the right path with looking at your diet and keeping q food diary. When are you next due to see your doc so you can maybe start some meds? As mentioned we do have a treatment forum that is worth having a look at to get some names of ones to discuss, enteral nutrition is another thing to look into as this can be good at helping to settle the tum and could also help you gain some weight back. I would also look into getting your vitamin levels checked as it is common to have deficiencies in this area with crohn's and this may explain your fatigue.

AB
xx