• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

My fun date with a doctor

nogutsnoglory

I have had way too many unpleasant dates with actual doctors lately treating my disease but today was different!

I actually went on a date date with a guy who happens to be a doctor. Too bad not a gastro lol. It was the first time in a long time that I felt somewhat normal again. Sure I pre-gamed with Imodium, made a bathroom pitstop before and was scrutinizing the menu the night before but otherwise it was a pretty regular date. We hit it off and had a great conversation and will get together again.

I didn't bring up IBD but maybe a doctor will be a little more understanding? On the flip side he might be a little more scared because he probably actually knows what the disease entails. I suppose time will tell if things continue to go well and I come out as a Crohnie.

nogutsnoglory

I'd hope he would be more understanding. Jim I think you are right I probably know a heck of a lot more but he may know the basics from med school which could scare him off.

That's great news.
But yes - as the others have suggested - doctors know the least about IBD!

When is date number two???
Exciting!!
Did you find him on line?

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
This is just me thinking out loud, but you may want to reveal yourself as a Crohnie sooner rather than later. What if you're at the hospital/doctor's office for an appointment and you run into him?? I could see that being a very awkward situation. Even if he doesn't work in the gastro dept, sometimes areas of the hospital overlap. My husband had kidney stone surgery awhile back, and apparently they put the kidney stone recovery people in the same area as the colonoscopy people, and we ran into my GI while we were there. I don't remember seeing hubby's urologist the whole time but we had a nice chat with my GI. :p

Good luck, I hope there's a date #2!

nogutsnoglory

Thanks everyone for your kind words of encouragement. I can't tell you how nice it feels to just be getting back into a somewhat regular routine. I want to cry from happiness and hope while I type this. It has been so long and I still have a long way to go but I have a glimmer of hope that things are on the upswing.

Samboi - yep online dating site okcupid.com!

Cat it's funny you say that because he actually does work at the hospital where I had my surgery! It's unlikely I would bump into him and I certainly hope I am not visiting the hospital anytime soon but that would be an awkward discussion!!

wooHOO!!

If he works at the hospital where you had surgery, he might look up your records just on a chance that you were a patient there.

wooHOO!!

If he works at the hospital where you had surgery, he might look up your records just on a chance that you were a patient there.
That would be pretty unethical. I think most hospitals should have safegaurds against that kind of thing. I know the health care system I get treated in (Kaiser Permanente) does. The system logs who is accessing patient records. If you're caught accessing records for patients you're not treating/supporting you will be flagged.

There should be, but there are a lot of loopholes. I would certainly like to believe he wouldn't want to/be able to. My sister worked at one hospital that had no reliable system in place and she could look up all sorts of things. Not a pleasant thought.

I don't think there should be any reason to hold back your trust.when my bf told me about this,I feel needed and trusted.And scare is less powerful than care.If he starts to cares,it won't scare him off,it just makes him treasure you more.

nogutsnoglory

I actually called off another date because at this point I'm still too unhealthy to get involved with someone. I want to so badly but I can't muster the energy to do so and know it will only get more involved should things have continued to progress.

I feel bad because he is a great guy and I ended up making a lame excuse but I suppose it gives me the opportunity to possibly come back to him in the future.

I feel so upset,my guy didn't text me back yesterday.He might just got cold feet as you did.I will never do him wrong,why he just can't see it.I sure don't understand why you can't be honest and have faith that he won't give you pressure.Hope you guys won't miss the point,and let the right one go.

IJP

NGNG, when you feel up to it, go out for a coffee [insert hot beverage of your choice] and tell him why. As a doctor I am sure he will be more understanding than most and see past it. Take a chance (best not start singing an Abba song ...) Good luck buddy and stay strong.