• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Opinons on 6mp?

Diagnosed with Crohns approx 10 years ago. After a right hemi-colectomy and minimal meds following surgery ( reaction to azathioprine..) I have been prescribed 6MP by my Gastro after a long stretch without immuno meds. My Crohns is considered moderate though I do have days that are difficult.

Anyway, I am looking for opinions from anyone who has taken 6MP. My Gastro says that if i can get through the first 2 weeks I should suffer little side effects....?? If I react in the first 10-14 days then he will prescribe something else.

Love to hear opinions from others on 6MP ...as Im getting a little concerned having read some opinions on various websites....

Last edited by a moderator:
I have been on 6 mp for a few years and have had no problems. I have heard that some people who have had problems with azathioprine are able to tolerate 6mp and I hope you are one of them. Remember that it generally takes about 3 to 6 months before you will notice the full effect. I actually had to be on Entocort until the 6mp "kicked in".

nogutsnoglory

I have taken 6mp and did not have any side effects but it didn't really help my condition and I would get lots of upper respiratory infections.

CrohnsChicago

Super Moderator
I just started 6MP in February. I am currently tapering off of pred. So far no side effects outside of the typical prednisone annoyances.

Good luck I hope it works out for you! :hug: