• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

"I told you I was sick!"

Age 40 with atypical presentation of Crohn's.

Guess my guts never read the medical text on how they were supposed to act.

I had very bad bouts of numbness and tingling in my arms and legs. Sometimes my entire arm would fall asleep at night...couldn't hold a position either standing, sitting or laying down more than a couple of minutes without something falling asleep.

I go to family doc and complain not only about the nerve issues but about joint pain. Family doc tells me I'm only allowed one complaint at a time, because they can't/don't want to spend more than 10 minutes and does some bloodwork finds elevated sed rate and anemia, blows that off and tells me she thinks it's carpal tunnel (yeah but I don't type with my feet). Thanks me for giving me money to hear this nonsense and sends me on my way.

Second opinion internist does billion dollars worth of bloodwork thinks it might be lupus and sends me to...

Rheumatologist who says not lupus and can't find anything wrong with my joints. Tells me the super elevated SED rate must be due to aspirin or something I took (no, I wasn't taking any aspirin or any over the counter anything at all for months before that blood tests, and I tell him that), doc blows of SED rate (tells me I must have taken something over the counter and not remembered it )there is nothing he can find wrong with me, but if I really want to press the issue I should see a neurologist at my leisure since nothing indicates that anything is wrong with me..it's probably just a pinched nerve in my neck sezs he.

One year later...

Neurologist #1 down the street orders super expensive MRI thinks it might be M.S. and has an office staff that was rude, the whole practice gave me a hinky feeling so ...

Teaching University Neurologist #2 tells me to list out every complaint I have...first time a doc has asked me to do this spends almost an hour examining me and asking questions, feels abdomen (and no joke up to this point no one gave me a general physical, it was all blood tests and MRI) feels a tender spot in my belly and says, "How long have you had this?"

"Uhhh..had what?"

"The big mass in your belly"

Priceless.

$10,000 worth of MRI's and thousands of dollars in blood tests but this guy does a physical and finds the problem right away.

CT scan shows tumor, off to a cancer doc I go, they are talking surgery after the colonoscopy and telling me to get myself ready mentally for cancer treatment but pathology eventually comes back with Crohn's.

I imagine I'm not the only one who looks back and tries to figure out when the very first symptoms started. Like I said, I'm forty, but I remember being about 12 and having a bout of massive cramping after eating...lots of constipation. In my 20s I had more problems with constipation and a very nasty fissure as a result that took 6 months to heal. The gastro also said that the scopes show years and years of damage.

I still don't have a lot of problems with the big D. I have so much fatigue that I'm convinced I'm going to go into hibernation any day now. Hips still hurt too much to hike, walk, or run around town and do errands even on the days when I'm not fatigued. I've been severely fatigued for a couple of years and when I complained to friends and family they told me I was just getting old and deal with, exercise more, quit being lazy, etc.

Told you I was sick.

I can relate. Really, I can. My GP blew me off more times that I can count, but stupid me, I just believed him. Finally after several surgeries and the inability to shake the fatigue (I was a mother, that's why I was so tired), I got fed up with everything and everyone and requested ALL of my medical records from everyone I'd seen in the last 7 years. I then took all those records and marked all abnormalities, put everything in order and went back to my GP and said send me to a rheumatologist, but not the one that already saw me. And blew me off as well.

He sent me to my current rheumy who diagnosed me with psoriasis, fibromyalgia, and Undifferentiated Connective Tissue Disease (similar to lupus). It took him one visit to come up with all that. Of course, I had to have many tests as well, but he knew what it was.

The Crohn's came about a year later because it was time to have my 5-year colonoscopy. I don't have the "normal" Crohn's signs/symptom either. More constipation than anything. Cramping, abdominal pains (GP told me to increase my fiber for that complaint. oops), fatigue, general not feeling well, but I figured this was all "just me".

I always told my family when they asked about my red cheeks that it was my "not-lupus" and they would get mad at me asking me why I was looking for something to be wrong with myself. I would tell them that I'm NOT looking for something to be wrong with me, there WAS something wrong with me. Turns out it was "not-lupus". The UCTD, which is similar to lupus. Now I have Crohn's as well.

Told them I was sick.

kimberlie said:
Welcome cd68, My hubby has Crohns for over 20 years also. We do know what you are saying about the medical field. I hope you have a good team now. Kim
Kim, I do finally feel like I got squared a way with some docs that I trust and they have very friendly and personal employees on staff. I hope we don't have to move any time soon!

Welcome CD68. I too try to figure out what were the first symptoms. My tummy got noisy and gassy a few years ago and I suddenly became lactose intolerant in high school. All these little things really make you think don't they? My first Dr. thought I was just depressed and over stressed. (So did I). Come to find out after a colonoscopy it looks like Crohn's.

What happened to you is what happened to my guinea pig. We took her to the vet and he couldn't figure out what was wrong with her. He ran all these tests and sent us home with meds. She didn't get better so we took her in again...this doctor actually did a physical exam on her. Two seconds later...he says she has an ear infection. If only the first doctor would have actually done an exam! Poor thing was put on all these other meds for no reason.

That is so funny what you said about hibernation...I totally feel like that right now!

Same thing with me. Years of tests and a surgery, no diagnosis.
Finally requested a new doctor and on his first exam he diagnosed Crohn's.
Thats why I always tell people to get a second opinion. It's ridiculous.

What's with the 'one complaint at a time' deal?? That's horrible. :eek:
Where are you from?
Welcome to the forum btw! :)

MINI Cooper said:
Same thing with me. Years of tests and a surgery, no diagnosis.
Finally requested a new doctor and on his first exam he diagnosed Crohn's.
Thats why I always tell people to get a second opinion. It's ridiculous.

What's with the 'one complaint at a time' deal?? That's horrible. :eek:
Where are you from?
Welcome to the forum btw! :)
I'm in Houston, there is a cluster of teaching hospitals downtown that are just awesome. It's a drive across town through lots of traffic for me. I just couldn't be happier with my docs now.

The "one complaint" at a time was probably a policy in response to patients who are scheduled for a low level visit, billed at one rate, but then show up with multiple complaint syndrome which really needs to be scheduled for a longer visit.
I can appreciate the fact that if you are going to take up an hour of a physicians time you should pay him for that, but the doc never offered to reschedule me. So I'm guessing that they prefer having a for-profit practice involving only patients with easy to treat uncomplicated health issues...bronchitis, UTIs, etc. No problem, I'll go across town to someone who is interested, will get me scheduled correctly. It takes a while to figure out the system.

The one thing that I'm still stumped on is why the bother to run blood tests on things like SED rates and hemocrit if they are just going to explain away an abnormal result. Inquiring minds want to know. :confused2:

soupdragon69

ele mental leprechaun
CD am so glad you are finally getting answers and names for what is going on with you. I always feel its 50% of the battle KNOWING what is actually wrong rather than being told you are making a mountain out of a molehill!!

I went 18mths before medics figured out my thyroid was barely functioning. Also after being told for 10yrs I was asthmatic a registrar told me it was all in my head and I shouldnt be on steroids and he had taken more folk of pred than I had had hot dinners etc etc. Was then put through a breathing test with histamine and had a PROVEN huge asthma attack. The lab staff wanted to know what "twit" ordered the test.

So no you are definately not on your own!

Hope you start to make some headway now in relation to better health and stability.

Well done you for hanging in there too!

((hugs))