• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Does Crohn's reoccure with a total ileostomy

Hi,

Great to meet you. I have had a full ostomy for 20 years and have not been to a gastro doctor until recently. My endoscopy shows a mild case of esophagitis, gastritis, duodentis. I am getting a procedure done next week to see if the Crohn's has come back in the small bowel. I am very nervous but want to get to the route of my pain in stoma and underneath my stomach.

hello,

I've had Crohn's since I was 12 and was given an ileostomy at the age of 17 to save my life. Yes, Crohn's can come back at the site of surgery or anywhere else in the digestive tract.

It's best to be on maintenance medication after surgery to keep it at bay. There are other issues that can cause pain around the stoma such as a hernia (I had that), narrowing of the intestines, a hernia tangled within the intestines (that happened to me as well), inflammation, abscess, fistula, etc.

Definitely keep your GI appointments and if need be, get a 2nd opinion from your GI surgeon to double check on what the underlying cause of discomfort is.

Be sure to check out the wiki information on this forum as well as ccfa.org. There is tons of great stuff in both sections regarding latest treatments, surgeries, support groups, diet, exercise, etc.

Welcome and feel free to PM if you have any questions. I've been a crohnie for over 20 yrs as well as an ostomate. ~Gutless wonderwoman :)