• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Things arent so bad right?!

So you might of picked up a few weeks ago, I was in a bit of a panic when my Pentasa stopped working for me and I was having stomach trouble. I am very new to this whole thing and I will say the whole crohns diagnosis was taking a toll on me mentally. I just kept feeling so isolated amongst others like i was now different and I couldnt keep a smile on my face. I was just so worried about every peice of food I was putting in my mouth. Well after I have buried myself into two amazing books on Crohns disease and diet as well as a 1000 boards and crohns articles, I am finally becoming a little comfortable with having this disease. I think I am also feeling this way bc the steriods have given me a mental break from all the pain and discomfort, that i can kind of have a better head on my shoulders to think about things. I no longer feel sorry for myself. This is not something I could prevent because I didnt know everything I was eating was so detrimental to my health and if I really knew, of course I wouldnt have eaten it. I have really cleaned up my diet and even though im not following a specific diet, I have eased my fear of food and feel more comfortable trying things to see what bothers me. I am now being put on asathioprine while on prednisone and I really hope this helps. I also bought a yougermet yogert maker to get me some good bacteria going bc i am a firm believer that alot of this sprang up after a dr put me on 5 rounds of antibiotics for a misdiagnosed bladder infection... So im trying to get my flora in check and stay positive. I thank you all for being there when I needed you.

I'm glad that you're coping better. I think it helps to be proactive and involved. It can be a bit of a roller coaster ride, with highs and lows, but if you read up on it, and know what to expect, that can help. When I was diagnosed, I didn't know what Crohn's was, and that is scary in itself.

I completely understand what you mean about the diet. I was diagnosed with Crohn's many years ago, but I've been in remission for so long and eaten what I wanted I pretty much forgot about following any kind of restriction. :ybatty: I was eating a lot of whole-grain, high-fiber foods and raw vegetables and fruit. I was also taking Ibuprofen regularly. Now I'm caught in a flare and have had to pretty much follow a strict elimination diet. I did buy a yogurt maker also and made my first batch the other day. It turned out pretty good! Better than store-bought yogurt. I also have been drinking kefir milk - have you tried it? Lots of good probiotics and makes my belly feel better. :smile:
Today is a rough day for me but then I'm still waiting to get in to see the doctor about this flare. Frustrating! :ymad:

Jim (POPS)

Jim (Pops)
I'm sure glad to see your doing better. I did read your last post and it reminded me of how i was when I first was told I had crohs. I wil get better as time goes on.

I also take Imuran and have for 4 months now. I belive its starting to work. I'll keep my fingers X for you and me.

Jim (Pops)

Hey Barbie - I love this thread! Thank you so much for being positive, it's quite refreshing! Like you, i'm going through the same thing. Two weeks ago my Crohn's was upgraded to Moderate/Severe, and now i'm freaking out about every piece of food I put in my mouth. But, even though i'm on a ton of meds, I feel better. I no longer feel sorry for myself, and not only is my physical health better, but my mental health as well. I know that it's a long road that I have ahead of me, but i'm ready to tackle it. Thanks again for this thread - it made me smile!