• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

A pretty challenging year

Hi, so in October of last year i began to feel strong pain in my stomach and despite many visits to my GP they dismissed it. until a couple of weeks later when they thought i had appendicitis. after going to hospital i was told i would need surgery and was givena high dose of antibiotics and long story short the hospital didnt do anything after deciding i no longer needed surgery and instead a scan. i waited 4 days in hospital nil by mouth for my scan until i decided to go private. when i went private the doctors diagnosed me with crohns and said i needed to have surgery to remove a 16cm stricture. i had been off school for 4 weeks now and beng 17 i had an exam in january but decided to delay the surgery and go for the exam. i didnt do to well in the exam and shortly after the exam i had surgery. i went back to school 4 weeks after the surgery but shortly after returning i had a relapse and was out of school for another 4 weeks. anyway i just wanted some opinions cause i have exams coming up soon and im not confident having missed 50% of the year and missing 50% of teaching. ive had to teach myself it this year and at a level its pretty difficult. the school at the start were quite helpful however now they've been kinda harsh saying that they probably wont let me back next year because of my lack of commitment but its hard to be committed when your constantly taking drugs and focusing on getting better.

I'm sorry to hear that the school is not more understanding. Its difficult to concentrate on anything when you feel horrible. I totally understand where your coming from. Would it help if you got a letter from your physician anis talk to the school about trying to make up some of your classes. Im not sure of their policy but it looks like if the physician writes the letter they may be a little more understanding. Good luck to you hope all works out.

Hello and welcome to the forum,

Gosh I'm sorry about all of this and really surprised at the schools' reaction, I would have thought that they had a duty of care to support you and that as part of their pastoral care responsibilities they should be looking at options that would enable you to continue. I don't know what the process is but maybe if your Dr could write to your principle on your behalf the school might be more pro-active?

I do hope that you have some improvement in your situation and wish you good luck with your exams, take care. :ghug:

Hey Chaddi, on what long-term medication are you on? Are you on any diet respectively treat any vitamin or other deficiencies (like iron) and do something for stress relieve?

After 14 years of Crohn's what I know now is that getting into real remission with no symptoms take effort and the right mix of long term treatment, diet and management plan.

Hi Alex, i'm not entirely sure what medication i'll be on for the long term but for now im currently taking 100g of azathiroprine, 10g of prednisilone, iron and calcium as well. I dont really have time for stress relief as i spend most days revising.

Lizabeth and Mwkwmn, i feel as if a letter from the doctor would only escalate things and i feel as if the school are looking for an excuse to chuck me out. My dad and i have had several meetings with them where it was first stressed that my place next year would be entirely dependent on my attendance which was at approximately 72% and has since dropped to 48%. Now my head of year has said she thinks I will fail my as levels and therefore will not be allowed back into year 13. And when asked if i could repeat the year at the school she replied no because of my lack of commitment and poor attitude despite me staying out of trouble the whole year.

An update on my situation.

I didn't fail my AS Levels so it kind of blew up in my head of years face and even though I was offered a chance to redo the year at the school I felt as if a fresh start was needed. It was a very difficult decision to leave all my friends behind and start again especially since some of these people I have seen everyday for the past 5 years. After starting school and my health improving during the course of the summer holidays i began to return to normal, started to enjoy life at the new college i was at. However I still seem to miss a day a week due to stomach pains. I have explained my situation to my teachers and they seem very supportive. However it annoys me because i am constantly ill and my parents are paying a lot of money for this school and i feel as if i am wasting it.

any advice?
thanks