• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Need advice

hi been suffering since 2009 give and take with a sausage shape lump that comes and go(iv had this lump come and go for yrs which no1 can see) abdominal pain lower right,diarrheah,weight loss, tiredness but mainly tenderness in abdomen, abominal pain, pain & slight swelling in right thigh which is always warm and i constantly going a toilet,iv had loads of gps tell me what they think it is but never a defenate diagnosis,iv taken allsorts of medication from nurofen which works very well 2 even takin prozac as a gp told me its anxiety, iv recently been given buscapan not allowd anythin stronger,my mother has crohns so i kno the symptoms we read up on it when my mum was 1st diagnosed 12yrs ago, iv had lots of test bak in 2009 all negative the only time sumthing was fount was by a wireless capsule camara but gp lost my results & that was dec 09 it was small nodules on my bowel,not sure could be ibs or ibd i was told i will c u in 3months,now 2013 no gastro team ever contacted me after several trips 2 my gp i finally broke down i went 2 gp with my partner in oct 2012 & just cried iv had allsorts wrong since 2009 & no1 is takin me seriously i was told i was suppose 2 still b seeing gastro team but was never called in,finally after all the wait i was refered once again had more blood taken & stool test which came back my colpretin 65 what ever that is( proberly spelt wrong)but bloods were fine so must b ibs,but its constant pain,it ruins my day cant do alot as it triggers it,how long does it take to diagnose how do i aproach my gastr dr when i see im in july do i agree with it being ibs or shall i push for test like ct or mri test just want it sorted,

Hi there I'm sorry you have had to go through this for so long with no real diagnosis or treatment, it's very frustrating to not be listened to by your doctors, thank goodness at last you have an appointment with a GI. I would push to have more testing done maybe discuss a colonoscopy too, hopefully though it won't be necessary to push and the doctor will be on the ball and request further tests. I would suggest you write all your symptoms down and take it with to your appointment, also write any questions that you have down, that's what I do cos I always forget to ask something. Can your partner go to the appointment with you cos sometimes two heads are better than one?

The feacal calprotectin test is a test for inflammation I added a link from the forum wki for you about the test.
http://www.crohnsforum.com/wiki/Fecal-Calprotectin

I hope you get relief from your pain cos I know daily pain does take it out of you, I use heat to try and ease my pain and find it can be quite soothing, a towel put in a dryer for a bit works quite well or a hot water bottle or a nice hot bath.

Please keep in touch and let us know hoe you are getting on, best wishes, big hugs and welcome to the forum. :ghug::ghug:

How frustrating! And how in this day and age does a doctor just lose test results? I'm glad to hear you will be seeing a new doctor. Stick to your guns and keep pushing until you get some answers! Hopefully they will find something out and you will get the right meds and feel better.

hi thanku for ur help,just sumtimes i think im crazy as they just dont listen,im hopein they will get this sorted just really dont want all the test again which i had colonoscopy,gastroscope,barium not the best test to have,mite just ask for ct scan or mri,the thing that puzzles me is when i go to hospital or gp every blood test is normal,which is good but it still dont tell me what it is, since 09 iv been told i have sciatica,anxiety,gastro flu,period pain,and even stress,but no1 can b sure as im never sick with my symptoms,my mum has chronic crohns 12yrs & has recently had stoma bag through negligent drs,i just dont want to go through what my mum did all them yrs ago as they never belived her either

that's so ridiculous. Why would doctors not believe someone with physical symptoms? Working in the medical field I can tell you that the first thing we should do is look at the patient and listen to the patient. We can't go strictly by test results because they don't give the whole picture. My blood tests are normal too and they aren't sure what's wrong with me either. It's very frustrating!
With your mother having Crohn's I just can't believe the docs are looking harder to diagnose you.

It's crazy how doctors get on...My sister was misdiagnosed with depression when really she had type 1 diabetes. I really hope you get somewhere with your doctor's cos that is so frustrating. Don't blame you for not wanting more tests, they are not nice, I had the barium meal recently and don't want another any time soon lol. I will be thinking about you and wishing you all the best. :ghug: