• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

No Diagnosis. Is It Crohn's, Ulcerative Colitis, etc?

I am having trouble with any GI doctors giving me a diagnosis - except for the fact that I have confirmed Celiac Disease. This has severely limited what I can now eat, and now my GI is telling me "possible Crohn's." If I could get your opinion based off of my symptoms as to what this could be, I would appreciate it.

My symptoms are (note: This all first started with laxatives/pain meds due to chronic pain. I was doing better, then tried milk and I am much worse):
1) I have sudden allergies to corn, potatoes, peanuts, and I am now lactose intolerant.
2) I have Celiac Disease, so no wheat, etc.
3) My biggest problem is constipation and abdominal pain, usually the lower and upper left side.
4) However, with most foods (vegetables and fruits) cause me significant pain nearly 1 minute after eating. The pain travels around my entire abdominal region.
5) My colon feels like it is constantly burning and itching.
6) I have terrible pain constantly in the lower left abominal region (lower colon).

I am thinking Ulcerative Colitis, Crohn's, or...could it really be both?? How about SIBO (Small Intestinal Bacterial Infection) due to the milk.

I have done blood work, endocoscopy, and colonoscopy which revealed my Ileum was inflammed. I have done the abdominal barium X-Ray, which found absolutely nothing. I have done an ultrasound, which too turned up nothing.

Any thoughts and any thoughts about self-treatment?

David

Co-Founder
When were you diagnosed with Celiac Disease? Recently? How long have you been on a gluten free diet and are you sticking to it?

When they performed the colonoscopy which showed the inflamed ileum, did they perform biopsies? If so, what were the results of those biopsies?

What kind of chronic pain do you have?

All my best to you.

Hi, there are so many things that could cause those symptoms, it's really impossible for you to get a diagnosis in any way other than continuing with tests and hope that something will come up that will allow your doctors to make a diagnosis.

I have sudden allergies to corn, potatoes, peanuts, and I am now lactose intolerant.
Do you know that you're lactose intolerant because you took the test for it, or just based on the symptoms you observe after eating it? What about these other allergies? How were you tested for them and what type of allergy?

I'm asking this because if you think you have allergies because eating them seems to coincide with symptoms, it can be very easy to believe a food is giving you problems when your symptoms are actually caused by other factors. Crohn's doesn't usually involve allergies to any particular foods.

Your symptoms are not typical of Crohn's, but you could possibly be an unusual presentation. If it was Crohn's, it should have been picked up on the tests you've had. Did the doctors tell you what type of inflammation was found? That would really be the key to knowing if you have Crohn's or not.

It's also possible that since you have confirmed coeliac disease, your symptoms could be caused by that if you are eating gluten without knowing it or if it's taking you a long time to heal from when you did eat gluten.