• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

New- Humira Side Effects, any one else out there?

Hi-
Just joined the forum I was diagnosed with Crohn's in 1994 and have had 2 bowel resections. Have run the gamut of medications and am now on Humira, which my Dr says is my last ditch effort drug - if this doesn't work, I have no other meds to try and will be winging it on my own. I believe I am having some bad side effects and wanted to know if anyone else here is familiar with any of the things I have going on.
I have been on Humira for almost a year (it's a holiday today so my pharmacy isn't open to give me the exact date)
I give myself injections every 2 weeks with the epi pen, rotating between my stomach and thighs for injection areas.
I get big welts at the injection site that show up the day after my injections and last for at least a week; my Dr told me to use Benadryl and to not worry about it if it's tolerable.
About a month ago, I woke up with a big itchy swelling on the bottom of my left foot, which I thought was a spider bite and really didn't think too much about it until my whole foot was inflamed and it hurt to walk (I wrapped my foot up with Manuka Honey and it went away eventually). Then, out of the blue, my right knee started to hurt so bad I couldn't even walk, but stopped hurting the same way it came on, the next day. My knee was pain-free for about a day then started hurting again, mostly at night. I am unable to sleep because at night everything (all my joints) hurts and I can't get comfortable.
I need to back track a little here, sorry....
I went to the Dr for the umpteenth time about my shoulder pain numbness in my arms a few weeks ago (which has been an ongoing since my early teens but getting increasingly worse), and he finally sent me for an ultra sound and xrays, the results of which are: I have a torn rotator cuff on my right arm, arthritis in my neck and also bone spurs in my neck that are closing down the holes the nerves travel through and are causing my arms to go numb. My right elbow has started aching constantly as well. I have an MRI for my neck in January.
So, to continue. 2 days ago, my right wrist started hurting and swelled up, I couldn't even move it without extreme pain, wrapped it in an ace bandage and it seemed to be better the next day, except, then my left wrist started hurting last night and now the red itchy swelling is back on the bottom of my left foot, but in a different spot, red, hot, hurts to walk on it.
I am not sleeping at night. Did I say that already? It's become quite stressful. I can't get comfortable and if I lie in the same place for even a few minutes, my arms go numb, my knee and shoulders and now my wrists, start aching so badly I can't stand it. The Dr prescribed Percoset, which does nothing for the pain but puts my head in a fog. Ibuprofen helps a bit, but is harsh on my liver in conjunction with all the meds I've been through.
I've looked up the side effects of Humira and I am pretty certain that I am experiencing some of them: joint pain, coughing, lupus-like symptoms(the wrist problem I'm having now). There are other symptoms going on, but I had a hysterectomy about 5 yrs ago and I'm not sure where those symptoms end and these new ones begin.
I will be calling my gastroenterologist tomorrow.

Hello there and welcome to the forum :),

I'm sorry you're been having such a rotten time, the symptoms you describe sound awful. It might be worth checking out the subforum for humira to see if anyone else talks about the same problems? It's possible you might get some suggestions too. You have my sympathies regarding your shoulder, I had surgery two years ago to remove a bone spur from my left acromion, thankfully my rotator cuff was intact but I know that even though it was, the pain was excruciating, how is your shoulder going to be treated? I also have multiple joint pains of varying degrees and I know it's no fun.

I wish I could offer you some wonderful pearls of wisdom but unfortunately I can't, I just really wanted to give you my support and also a warm welcome to the forum, there will be lots of others on that will be of more help than me. In the meantime, best wishes and big hugs.:ghug::ghug:

Hi Lynda-
Thank you for responding. :)
I am going to a Orthopedic Trauma Dr in August for my shoulder. My GP wants me to get physio, but I simply cannot fit it in my budget. I'm living hand to mouth now as it is.
In the 20 years since I've been diagnosed with Crohn's, the only joint pain I've ever experienced was in my left hip - my indicator that I'm having a flare-up. I can't function with what's going on now, and the prospect of living with this is pretty dismal at the moment. I work from home, which is a blessing, but it's on the computer. Typing right now is slow and excruciating.

Sorry to complain. I really just wanted to thank you for responding and hope you have a great day!
Thanks again!

Hello :)'

I had physio for my shoulder but it obviously didn't work lol, it is worth trying though if you can work it in with your finances of it means you could maybe avoid more aggressive treatment? My shoulder is amazing now :). I completely understand about your pain cos when mine was at its worst I didn't sleep for about 18 months, I couldn't hold a book to read either, I also had surgery on my right hand 4 months before my left shoulder, it was tough!!! Please don't apologise I know exactly what it feels like and its not nice. My only piece of advice would be to keep your arm moving, but gently, I developed a frozen shoulder along side the impingement, so if you can keep it moving it would help in the long run. Take care.

I had a problem with my legs getting bright red randomly, almost like they were sunburnt---in addition to the injection site welt. I only ever injected in my stomach; but dear god, if that spot wasn't the itchiest thing on the face of this planet. Sometimes my legs would get flushed red the hours following my knjection, sometimes the day or two after---it was really strange. My hands/wrists and legs/ankles would randomly swell a little. I had some tingling in my hands too. I don't know; I didn't start reacting all crazy like to the Humira until I had already been on it for 3 months but I had also started Imuran a month before my weird symptoms started. They pulled me off of it finally when I just flat out started refusing to take it for fear of what else might happen the next time. Which is a damn shame, cause it helped my intestinal troubles a lot...just made everything else ten times worse.