• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Fat and other food intolerance in Crohn's?

Hi All :)

I was just wondering really, if any of you struggle with the same sort of symptoms as me, when it comes to food. I love to eat- my parents are chefs so food is a big thing in my family. But for the past few years and particularly at the moment, I seem to have a big list of things I simply cannot tolerate. ANYTHING high fat, or oily, anything milky or creamy and anything wheaty.

I do not have lactose intolerance nor am I coeliac.... though im really struggling with foods at the moment, especially fatty food.

Can this be a side effect of Crohn's? And does it sort its self out when you are treated?

xx

Hi Charlotte,
There are many foods which can trigger symptoms with Crohn's disease. Dairy, gluten, fat, raw veggies, some cooked veggies, chocolate, caffeine can all trigger symptoms. You'd be better off to start an elimination diet and then use a food diary to try reintroducing one food at a time to see what triggers your symptoms so you know what to avoid. I have pain with most of those trigger foods. I eat mostly white rice and chicken, fish and seafood, skinless potatoes and sweet potatoes, and sodium-free canned veggies. Peanut butter and coconut oil don't bother me either, so I use them to maintain weight.

Some people are able to reintroduce many trigger foods once the disease is under control. It's very individual so you'll have to use the food diary to see what works. :)

Hi,

I definitely can't eat anything fatty when I'm flaring! I've got a lot of weird food intolerances, but I have noticed that when I'm in remission I can eat more fatty and oily stuff. It is definitely crohn's related. I have been having trouble with food for the past several months. A lot of the foods that bother you may be just fine when you're in remission- so far the only thing that I can't eat regardless of my crohn's is eggs! Good luck!

The above posters hit it on the money. I can eat everything at some points and almost nothing at others. Without being to graphic it's to the point were if I am flarring I will not digest half the things I eat and they come out whole maybe 2 weeks later I can eat them again with no issues.

If treated well that's tricky. Some people treated will remain in complete remission for years, eating and having a normal life. Others seem to never go into complete remission and struggle everyday with what to eat and not eat. I truely hope you are in the first group and once treated you spend decades in remission.

I don't test positive for celiac or lactose intolerance either but I certainly have an adverse reaction to anything with gluten or lactose. However, if you had asked me two years ago I'd have told you I was fine with gluten because I had never removed it from my diet for long enough to really know if it effected me or not.

Food intolerance vs. a diagnosable medical condition is one of those huge grey areas where it's really up to us as individuals to test and check. I can't get a celiac diagnosis from my doctor but I will spend my weekend in the bathroom if I eat a pizza tonight.

I tested negative for celiac as well, but gluten gives me pain every time I try it. I just plain feel better avoiding it. I haven't been tested for lactose but it certainly gives me a ton of problems every time I ingest any. Casein is doing the same thing to me lately, that is new for me. :(
It's funny how each of us is so different. I do well with eggs and peanut butter, but I know others can't do either one. I can no longer eat bacon either, the last time I tried I felt really nauseated all day and had pain as well.
It's so individual, you'll have to keep a food diary and only try one new thing at a time and see what really effects you. Make sure you give it enough time, I know with myself, many times I don't have an adverse reaction until the next day.