• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

My Crohns Story: Ex Soldier

So I was in the Army for four years when i started having stomach problems and i went to the doctors for it. I was told it was just hard stool. So i took the meds and i did what i was told. It just got worse. I was bleeding so bad my wife forced me to go to the er abd it just so happened the gi doctor was there. He did his thing and set up a appoitment for a colonoscopy. Once he did that he walked in looked at me and my wife and said you have crohns disease and walked out. Now five years later im medically retired from the army and im about to have my ileum taken out and im kinda scared. My wife is very ups and scared. I dont know what to do anymore but let them cut me up like a thanksgiving turkey. Thanks for reading this i know its not very informative but ill try to do better.

Welcome to the forum. It seems like you have been quite alot and what a to find out you have CD. I hope you now have more compassionate medical professionals in your corner.

When is your surgery scheduled? Have the docs talked about how much of your ileum they are planning to resect?

There is a surgery(<--click here) sub-forum you may want to check out. There are sure to be threads there of other members discussing their resection surgeries.

I hope all goes well and you are on your way to remission soon!

I also hope you have a more compassionate doctor in your corner. Many people have tremendous relief after surgery.
Are you on any maintenance meds currently?

My VA GI is great he has tried everything in his power to get me into remission. They are taking the entire valve there cause it is like conceret. I have been on remicade and imuran for a year and a half. It has helped stop it from getting worse but it was to late for the valve thing.

Hello and a warm welcome to the forum :)

I don't have any personal experience of surgery (yet) but I have heard people express great relief once healed and that they were able to go back to normal eating again, I know everyone is different though but it's worth considering. I'm waiting to find out if I need surgery on my ileum and have had to think about the pros and cons, my daughter reckons it's a good idea.

Have you any idea when the surgery might take place?

There is also a sub-forum on here for spouses that might be useful for your wife, she would get lots of support and information that might help her? I do hope you both find some peace of mind and that you find better health soon, take care. :ghug::ghug:

They are hoping for around the end of june begining of august. But i still have to talk to the surgeons first. My biggest concern is with my son. He turns three on the 31st and im a stay at home dad. I dont want him to see me in pain and stuff afterwards. Plus i dont know how to tell him that daddy has to have surgery and wont be home for a little while.

I can appreciate your worries, but try not to worry too much, children are very resilient, mine were 5 & 3 when I was diagnosed with diabetes, I was in hospital for 2 weeks but as long as they could visit and get cuddles from me they were fine. They also grew up with my being unwell and learnt how to help me and were also very pleased when they could. Be honest with your son and include him so he won't get frightened, it will help him to understand why daddy is away for a little bit, I don't mean tell him all the nitty gritty but just enough for him to know what's going on. In the long run he will just be happy his daddy is going to feel better :). He looks lovely, it's so lovely when they are little :) mine are all grown up and flying the nest.

Thank you lizbeth for the encouragement. Its nice to finally find somewhere that people understand the ins and outs of crohns.

This is definitely the place for understanding and support :), everyone is very welcoming. I'm glad you joined :) I don't feel just as much alone since joining, I was only diagnosed 6 months ago, my girls have now had to used to another condition but they are great with. Your son will be amazing and will probably drive you nuts with questions lol, what's that for, were does that go, why, why, why lol, I can remember it so well.

Landon's daddy:

Your boy is adorable! Just wanted to wish you good luck with it all and thank you for your military service.

Also on a personal note, after my resection at the same place you are having, I had 11 years of remission! I've had another flare for the last year, but had a long time with only minor symptoms. Had to watch what I ate carefully, but a very "normal" life. I had a middle schooler when I was at my worst, and he did very well with it, and is still very loving and concerned when mom gets sick at times.

Hang in there!

When i have tp go to the doctor my son always runs up to me and says "daddy got a boo-boo in his belly" it makes me laugh cause he always kisses my stomach afterwards. If you dont mind me asking lizbeth have you ever been on remicade? Thays what im on and when i get it my stomach kills me for about two days and i asked about it and they said it was normal but idk.

Hang in there and you know at 3 years old he may not even remember you having the surgery and at that age they are more resilient than being older but they all adapt at some point. To give you an idea, My brother has MS and has been in a wheelchair for about 13 years now, my niece was 4 years old at the time and has seen him in and out of the hospital and although his kids don't like to see him that way that is all they have really known and love him for himself and their friends don't even mind at all. If their friends can't handle it then they weren't her friends at all. and even though he was in wheelchair his oldest daughter had my walk her down the aisle when she got married and even found a way to have a dance with her Dad. I know this is a different scenario but I hope it helps ease your mind. Hang in there and thank you so much for serving our country so we can still have our freedom. You should be proud!.

nogutsnoglory

Resection should be around 5 days post-op in the hospital. Can you maybe Skype with your son while you are there? Maybe just tell him Daddy is sick but coming home real soon.

No I'm sorry I haven't been on remicade so I have no experience of it, you could have a look on the remicade subforum, I'm sure there will be something there about it, if you can't find what you're looking for post a question there instead. Sorry I can't help. I think that as long as you've made the medical staff aware and they are happy enough that you shouldn't have any thing to worry about.

When my girls were wee and I had a hypo they used to bring me their own sweets to take it away, they are so cute at that age.:)

Dang there is forum for everything here. Its great. Thank all of you for the encouraging words. Have any of yall found the free book "Crohns Disease your questions expert answers"? Its free from Abbott. I have the number if anyone is interested. I dont know if you can use it outside of the conus but you can find it on a website but ill have to ask my wofe what site ot was she found it on.

Jim (POPS)

Jim (Pops)
Lindonsdady,
Hi there and welcome to the forum.

I have had 3 surgerys in the past 1 1/2 year. It's not a fun thing to do, but you will be just fine. Your son wil make it through this as well. It will bring you both together more than you already are if you can picture that. Young kids can handle more than we think they can.

I pary you will have a fast recovery from the surgery.

Jim (POPS)