• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

First time user

Hi, I'm Toni from CA.
Was diagnosed w/Crohn's a year and a half ago after a mild flare-up. Since then I've had no problem. At the start of January I started bleeding so bad that I was taken to the hospital where I was kept for two weeks. After the Crohn's was taken care of and blood replaced, they kept me because my heart rate was too fast, apparently triggered by the trauma to the body. Anyway, I'm home and taking all kinds of pills and at noon today I start a Remicade through infusion. Takes three hours and I go to a Chemo place near me with cancer patients. Anyone been given Remicade or know anything about it? Thank God it's not a steroid.

Hi Toni.

First of all, welcome to the forum...you've found a great place to learn everything you've always wanted to know (and much more that you didn't) about Crohn's. I think that you can find people here who have experienced anything and everything related to Crohn's.

As far as Remicade...I have had (several years ago) four infussions of the stuff. I was a little scared at first, but I have to say, it was easy and painless for me. You might want to keep your day open for the first infussion ( I took the afternoon off work so I could go home afterwards just in case). They will most likely give you a shot of Benadryl just in case there is an allergic reaction. I had no reactions and no side effects, not even fatigue. After my first infussion, I just scheduled them whenever a time slot was available. They just sat me up in an easy chair with an IV and I read a book. Very quick and easy. Went back to work afterward. As far as the effectiveness, however, it didn't work for me. I was getting it in hopes of clearing up a fistula, but no such luck. There are planty of people on here that have had great success with the stuff. Keep in mind that everybody is different and you may need to go through many different treatment options before you find what is right for you. If you're lucky, it won't take long! Best of luck to you!

There is no need to be scared. i get remicade every 8 weeks and there is nothign too it. the worst part is getting the iv. Sometimes you get a student and takes them a time or two to get it in the vein correctly. just find someone that can do it first time and request them to do it. Second bring a blanket, the remicade can make you a little chilly, just because its refridgerated i believe. They always give me tylenol and benedryl so i get a little sleepy. I usually take the day off as well because it takes a few hours to get done and just easier then having to go back into work and you can rest afterward if you need to. If you have a infusion network place that gives you the remicade like me, they have lazy boys with heaters in them and back massages, and a tv with dvd player to entertain you for the few hours you are there.

Edit * I have been getting it since 01 so if you have any questons feel free to ask

Last edited:

mikeyarmo

Co-Founder
Welcome to the forum! You will see the remicade is something familiar with many of us... while I have never experienced it is a well known treatment option for Crohn's Disease and Ulcerative Colitis.

Welcome to the Forum!
I have not as yet had Remicade
although my doctor has mentioned it may be the next step.

I welcome any treatments that may throw Crohn's
into a remission.

Make yourself at home here...
we're a friendly group.

Once again welcome..
Nancy~ :)