• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Side Effects of Remicade treatment

Good morning!
I am happy to find this forum and am looking for help/advice/information. I am currently dating (its pretty serious) a man who has had Crohns disease for ten years. He has been on Remicade infusions every eight weeks. For the last four months, he has been constantly sick. Recent diagnosis include: bad cold turning into bronchitis, asthma diagnosis and now bad sore throat virus. In addition to the Remicade he has been prescribed (in the last four months) a large dose or prednisone (for the bronchitis - which has been discontinued), Advair (asthma) and two courses of antibiotics (Z-Pack and now levofloxacin). He claims that he has not always been this sick and this is recent. I am beginning to think that the Remicade is starting to seriously affect his immune system. Has anyone else had or seen this problem with a loved one? I really just want to try and help, but am not sure what to do. Seems to me that the docs just throw more meds at him. Your responses are appreciated.

SarahBear

Welcome to the forum, kedonley!

Remicade does affect the immune system. You can read more about it in the Remicade section of the Treatment forum, found here. We also have an overview of Remicade (found here) which states, "Infliximab (Remicade) is an antibody that attaches to a protein called tumor necrosis factor-alpha (TNF-alpha). TNF-alpha is one of the proteins produced by immune cells during activation of the immune system. TNF-alpha, in turn, stimulates other cells of the immune system to produce and release other proteins that promote inflammation. In Crohn's disease, there is continued production of TNF-alpha as part of the immune activation. Infliximab, by attaching to TNF-alpha, blocks its activity and in so doing decreases the inflammation.... TNF-alpha is an important protein for defending the body against infections. Infliximab, like immuno-modulators, increases the risk for infection." It's a bit of a mouthful, but that explains how Remicade works and why it has this effect.

Has he brought this up with his gastroenterologist? It's certainly worth mentioning.

:hug: I hope things get better soon!

I take Remicade every six weeks and it can cause some nasty side affects. It does low your immune system so you have to be really careful. He can talk with his gi doc aboit possible using something elese but normally remicade the top dog when it comes to meds for crohns. Just make sure he doesnt put off going to the doc for anything. Even the smallest cut can turn bad. Also some people dont know that Remicade is also used in cemo. I know i didnt spell that right.