• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Newby - Mild Crohn's or infection??

About six weeks ago I had a physical due to some odd symptoms that had very little do with my intestines, colon or stomach. Or, so I thought. On occasion I have some "squishy" feeling in my gut, but not often enough for me to be concerned. Blood tests came back that I am severely anemic. I was referred to a GI to try and explain the low iron levels, which are caused by loss of blood.

Last week I had an endoscopy and colonoscopy. After the procedure the Dr stated I had mild Crohn's and put me on mesalamine. He also provided multiple pictures of swollen tissue in several areas. He also stated that he took several biopsies to include one from the endoscopy to determine whether or not I had celiac disease. We scheduled a follow up visit for two weeks later.

Today the Dr's office called to say that the Crohn's biopsy was inconclusive and perhaps I have an infection (I was a little slow after the procedure, but was sure it was a conclusive diagnosis). I need to follow up with stool collection for further testing, but that I need to stay on the Mesalamine. Now I'm confused. Have any of you gone through anything like this? Will stool samples answer definitively?

Thanks for any advice or information you can share.

HI LLBlawndie -- I haven't had your particular experience, but I just wanted to know that I feel for you! I also have relatively mild disease, and I remember how scary it was in the weeks following my colonoscopy when I wasn't sure what the results meant.... it was torture waiting for my follow-up GI appt! Hang in there -- you'll get some answers! Sometimes the path to diagnosis is challenging, but you'll find this forum is a great source of support!

Hello and welcome to the forum :)

Yes I have had similar experience when I was in hospital, at first it was thought to be my appendix, then a CT showed a narrowing in the ileum area, my CRP was at 200 and my temperature was up, at this stage it wasn't clear as to whether it was an infection or Crohns, I had been started on Pentasa, then taken off it cos my GI said it wouldn't touch the problem, then a few days later after colonscopy and biopsies I was put back on it and still am, my biopsies came back as non-specific but my GI has decided that given my symptoms, CT and scope results that it is Crohns. It was all a bit confusing.

It's my understanding that the stool test can check for inflammation and/or blood, it won't give a definite diagnosis as all other results and findings would need to be taken into account though. Sorry if this isn't too helpful but I'm sure someone will be able to give you more info, take care and best wishes.

Thank you both for the support. The past several days my stomach has been a mess, but it could be the meds. Since posting I have read through posts all over the site and am very surprised to see how many folks remain undiagnosed for years. From what I have read the disease goes into remission and then has flares. Are there people who live with constant flares? I'm amazed at how little I really knew about the disease despite knowing a couple of folks with it.

I know what you mean, my only knowledge of the disease was a documentary I watched years ago, I have been a little overwhelmed as I learn more about it.

From my understanding some people can become pain-free while others are not so lucky, I fall into the unlucky group so far, haven't been pain-free since I was diagnosed although am still waiting for decision about what next treatment wise so I remain hopeful.

Has your tum settled down any since last week?