• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

What is the standard starting dose of budesonide?

I just started budesonide about 4 days ago. I am starting to notice some big mood swings. So I googled the med to see if lower doses can also be helpful and if tapering is necessary. What I discovered. Is I'm on a lot of this med. From what I read 9 Mg a day is average; 3mg 3 times a day. I'm on a total of 27 Mg a day 3 tablets 3? times a day. Is this right? Maybe its a starting dose? I don't know much about this med.

nogutsnoglory

That's seems dangerously high! Please consult your doctor first thing in the morning.

I have only heard of 9mg (1 pill, 3 times a day) being the standard starter with a taper to 6mg and then 3mg.

I started out on 9mg for a while like 2 weeks, then bumped down to 6mg for a few weeks then bumped down to 3mg. Been off and on this med for a year+