• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

New to Forum

Hey everyone,

I'm Eli and I am 22 years old. For as long as I can remember I've dealt with stomach pains as well as nausea. Back and forth to doctors offices and they could never pin point what it was exactly that was causing the pain. As I got older, the nausea became more of a daily thing while the stomach pains would happen in little out bursts lasting about a day or so. Along with the stomach pain and nausea, I also began to start feeling sharp pain in my shoulders and chest. After a few ER visits (without insurance) I was told it was all muscle pain and prescribed naproxen. Needless to say it didn't help at all. After starting a new job and receiving health insurance I decided I wasn't going to let my stomach issues affect me anymore and I was going to get to the bottom of the situation. I got lazy and never made any doctors appointments. Then, throughout the month of April I must have gotten sick once a week. It wasn't until one Thursday night a few weeks back that the pain got so bad I was in tears. I had my mom take me in to the ER. Once in the ER, after taking blood and doing a CT of my abdomen the discovered that my white cell count was elevated, I had a fever of about 102 and my intestines were severely inflamed. The decided to admit into the hospital in order to run further tests to discover the cause of the inflammation but to their knowledge it was some strand of IBD if not Crohn's. After giving me anti-biotics and fluid I started to feel extremely better. The next series of test would be an XRay which they agreed could be scheduled outpatient. Since I was feeling better, they decided to discharge me the following Saturday, prescribing me Delzicol, ordering me to take 2pills/3x a day. Its been roughly three weeks and I haven't had an outburst of stomach pain nor have I been nauseas at all, until today that is. I woke up this morning with the entire right side of my abdomen feeling very constricted (sort of like a side sicker). I looked back on yesterday to try and pinpoint if it may have been something I ate or drank. My diet for the day wasn't anything out of the ordinary but I did indulge in the smoking of a hookah (tobacco only) as well as a slice of pizza (which I barely ever eat). I also only took my medication twice yesterday as I woke up super late, does anybody know if this is all related as to why I feel so crappy today?

I haven't officially been diagnosed with Crohn's. I have an appointment this upcoming Wednesday for an Xray and a follow up appointment Thursday to get the results. Just trying to understand what is going on with my body.

I appreciate anybody's help in the matter as I am new to all of this and attempting to see if certain things I am doing is correlating to the pain.

Thanks,
Eli

nogutsnoglory

Are you being seen by a gastroenterologist? I'm surprised they haven't ordered a colonoscopy to ascertain what's going on. When you say x-ray do you mean a small bowel follow thought with drinking liquid contrast? I'm not sure a regular abdominal x-ray would be strong enough to show active IBD.

nogutsnoglory - yes I am being seen by a gastroenterologist, and by Xray, I do mean a small bowel follow through, that is all happening this Wednesday.

Are you being seen by a gastroenterologist? I'm surprised they haven't ordered a colonoscopy to ascertain what's going on. When you say x-ray do you mean a small bowel follow through with drinking liquid contrast? I'm not sure a regular abdominal x-ray would be strong enough to show active IBD.
Fixed a word because you wrote follow thought. Hope that's ok....