• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

My 4 Year Wait Ended Today...Now What?

Hi Everyone,

I'm new here and figured I should introduce myself and share my story.

I finally got my diagnosis today of Crohn's ( I have known for a long time but it was unconfirmed).

I have spent the last 4 years getting sent home from the ER with the promise a GI would contact me. A year ago a "bulge" formed below my ribs on my right side and I figured that someone would finally do something but instead they tested my liver. I had an MRI 4 years ago and it showed thickening on my bowel but no one told me until a few months ago. I have had tons of other tests but until today I have had no help from a Doctor and spent years on a waitlist for a GI so I can get my colonoscopy.

I managed to luck out today after a week long flare up and not being able to leave my bathroom. I went to the walk in clinic and was able to finally see a knowledgeable Dr. He looked over my records, called the GI to make an appointment for me and promised me I would feel better soon. He officially diagnosed me and was shocked it had taken so long. I'm currently taking 50mg of Prednisone and go back next Wednesday.

I feel relieved and also really worried about what happens next.

Anyway that's my story....sorry its so long

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
Hi, welcome to the forum. I'm glad to hear you've finally been given a diagnosis after such a long wait! I hope the pred kicks in quickly so that you can feel better. Good luck next week, I hope you can figure out a treatment plan beyond the prednisone (it's not meant to be taken long-term) and can get some good, lasting relief.

afidz

Super Moderator
Glad to hear you got a diagnosis! Keep everyone updated on the next steps you will be taking and use this forum at your complete disposal. There are some wonderful people on here that can give some great advice and support.

and never worry about a post being too long, it happens, we have all been through a lot

Thank you! Its so nice to be able to read posts and have an idea what to expect and what to watch out for. I've never been on meds before and the Prednisone terrified me.

Anyway thanks again!!

Hey Ame, welcome. As said before the info here is fabulous. As are the people, very helpful and giving of their time/experience.
I loved the pred, I was lucky, my side effects were the good ones...energy galore, no pain, an appetite. To offset long term problems (osteoperosis) I took calcium, magnesium, vit d and omega capsules while on it. I hope your time on pred is as helpful as mine and that you feel better quickly.