• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Humira for Spondylitis and crohns?

Hi
I just been diagnosed with crohns/spondylitis and my Rheumatologist is already talking Humira after NSAID's failed along with sulfasalasine.
My question is this...If crohns is the culprit (which they don't know)...then why not medications for Crohn's first? Humira maybe a great drug...but the side effects are not something I would want to try unless my symptoms are more severe. Does anyone have Arthritis of IBD? What are you taking?

nogutsnoglory

Humira would reduce inflammation in your body. Whether your arthritis is a manifestation of IBD or a disease to its own, Humira if successful will suppress the progression of both.

CrohnsChicago

Super Moderator
Afidz , another member here is in the exact same boat. Same diagnosis as yours and same treatment plan being considered. I tagged her to see if she had anything additional to share about her experience and discussion with her doctors.

I hope you are able to find a treatment that works for you :hug:

Hi reeree and welcome to the forum.
I have arthritis as an EIM of crohn's and most of the treatments I have so far been offered are used to treat both. Humira is also used for crohn's I was prescribed it mainly for that around 2 years ago. I should be starting cimzia soon for the arthritis which is another med done through injection that works in the same way as humira. A couple of other treatments that you could discuss with the rheumatologist are methotrexate/azathioprine/6-mp these are taken in tablet form. If you really don't want to start with humira let them know but usually when they suggest these things it is for the best even if it is a bit scary at first. I hope you find something that works for you

afidz

Super Moderator
Hello, I can give you my 2 cents, however I am not quite diagnosed with spondlytis just yet although my ortho is sure thats what it is. I haven't been able to be on Humira in 3 years because of my current health situation. But when I was on it, I felt great. I led a normal life. I slept through the night, I was able to get out of bed. My Crohn's and back problems were non existent. Of course, I had no idea about the severity of my back problems back then, just thought that put to much strain on my back when I slept.
This last February I fell out of remission. Everything went to hell. My Crohn's, my back, my eye (Iritis from either of the 2) and I am miserable. I want so badly to be back on Humira because I felt great while on it. Yes, the potential side effects are scary. But, to be honest, I never had a single one. To me, the benefits outweighed the risks.

Also, what kind of NSAIDs are you taking? Unless through a patch or IV, they can be harmful to your digestive tract.
Hope you find the answers you are looking for :hug:

Hi
Thanks for the reply. I beleive past meds such as Naproxen, and Sulfasalasine only made my intestines worse-although it helped
in some ways. I guess Humira can kill 2 birds with one stone?
How long are we allowed to be on Humira (once a month or?).

Humira is usually started at one injection every two weeks but some people have to move up to one each week. I had to do this to get things under control but it did work well for a while once I started weekly. Once people start on humira they usually stay on it for as long because they can as coming off can cause you to build up antibodies and then you wouldn't be able to use it anymore.

afidz

Super Moderator
I am not sure Humira creates antibodies like Remicade does. I was trying to look it up and I was inable to find a resource that says it does. KayleighMeek, if you have resources that say it does create antibodies, please share, I would love to know because I have always thought the same thing.

I found this a study with RA patients http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/21486979/
I would be very happy to be proved wrong if what I have said is not the case.
I just thought it was more unlikely for it to occur but was still a risk. I am now looking all over the place for something. Sorry if I have given the wrong info I am looking into it

Last edited:
Thanks for all the support. Although, Humira sounds good...I feel though it's not
time. I have mechanical back problems before all this Spondylitis kicked in.
But I do know this...if the Crohns medication is not enough, I sure will try the Humira.

afidz

Super Moderator
Kayleighmeek, thanks for the link, that was the first I have heard of Humira creating antibodies. I didn't think you were posting incorrect information at all, I just hadn't heard of it happening before. But now I know :)
reeree I hope you can find something to help but problems, let me know how it works out because like said above, I am in the same boat

afidz

Super Moderator
Good luck with it! I have had only one endoscopy and they didn't have to use balloons or anything. My Crohn's is only in my lower GI tract. I hope all goes well! :hug:

I have AS and Crohns and start Humira tomorrow. For 20 years, sulfasalazine controlled both diseases remarkably well. And for the better part of 2012, the only substance I took daily was 10,000 iu of vitamin D3 and felt as well as I have felt in years. I think both diseases were in remission. That stopped very abruptly in September and I have been battling both since. After being on the SCD for two months and seeing a positive change in my Crohns but not in my AS, I decided to drop the H-bomb on my body. I'll check back in after the first injections. And for the record, hardly afraid, I am very excited for the relief Humira will (hopefully) provide.

Okay. The four loading dose shots are in. Two in the stomach and two in the thighs. The ones in the stomach stung. The two in the thighs were uneventful. I did leave the pens out for about 20 minutes before doing the injections. If a slight sting for a few seconds is all that it takes to feel better (my Crohn's is doing great but AS is in an unabated flare), I'm more than cool with that exchange. Let the healing begin!

Hi
I just been diagnosed with crohns/spondylitis and my Rheumatologist is already talking Humira after NSAID's failed along with sulfasalasine.
My question is this...If crohns is the culprit (which they don't know)...then why not medications for Crohn's first? Humira maybe a great drug...but the side effects are not something I would want to try unless my symptoms are more severe. Does anyone have Arthritis of IBD? What are you taking?
Hi Reeree,

I have Crohn's and arthritis for nearly 30 years and have tried many meds. I currently take methotrexate 15 mg once a week and Humira 40 mg once every two weeks. i feel the best I have in 5 years. The Crohn's and arthritis go hand in hand and both these drugs work on Crohn's and the arthritis.

I was on the methotrexate alone for a year but it made me very tired. I decreased the dosage and then started Humira in February 2013 and have been feeling pretty good ever since. When on Humira, you need to take either methotrexate or imuran along with it to prevent your body from making antibodies to the Humira. if you are on Humira and then stop for a while, you might develop antibodies and it won't work anymore (according to my GI).

I don't have any side effects from the Humira other than a red itchy rash at the injection site that lasts for a few days.

After NSAIDS and sulfasalazine, usually the next step is methotrexate/imuran, according to my rheum and GI docs. if that doesn't work, then Humira. In Canada, (British Columbia), you have to have tried methotrexate/imuran before BC Pharmacare will approve the payment of Humira.

Good luck with your journey.

Hi Jonique

Not sure what's next...I have been on prednisone for the last 2 years (not at large dose's)...the Dr took me off and put me on Budesonide which seems to work until I start tappering. I have 2 Rheumatologist's one says Humira the other doesn't think it's time.
Going to see what my Gastro thinks this Friday. I don't think it's a good idea to wait for the humira...I need it now and off the steroids. Common sense tells me this can effect the heart if not treated properly. Thanks for your info!