• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Colostomy reversal or not

Hi everyone i am one week away from having my colostomy reversed but having doubts if its worth the risk i have read alot of good and bad stories but from people with other factors than mine.

I was diagnosed with crohns 16 years ago and had my first surgery in 2009 where i had a bowel resection which failed due to a leak and fistula, just over 12 months later they finally brought me back in to remove the fistula but failed again and ended up with the same problem but this time my whole scar line opened and was in and out of hospital for 18 months with infections etc i got myself fit enough to have surgery again this time i was given a temp colostomy the only problem i had was a perferated ulcer which sealed after a few days which wasnt the nicest expierence to have but got back on my feet quickly and have been well with no problems for 2 and half years now, the bag doesnt cause me any problems and i have had regulary colonoscopys which have been perfect.

I cant help but feel that i could be going back to square one with potiental complications but am 26 years old have good job am engaged so life is good, part of me thinks to do this while im young and can get on with my life with no bag but other part of me thinks life is good why gamble.

if anyone has been through this or felt this way etc please let me know good or bad stories.

Thanks x