• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Isotretinoin (Accutane) for my daughter

My daughters dermatologist just recommended isotretinion (Accutane) for her acne, looks like one of the side effects is IBD, I had UC for 20 yrs which was just rediagnosed as Crohn's in Jan of this year, not sure how I feel about her taking this drug...:sign0085:

We have a young lady in our support group who would I'm sure tell you to run, run away fast from Accutane. She has gone though so much after using it.
From some fast research I haven't come across much encouraging info regarding accutane and ibd. Err on the side of caution.
3% peroxide, capful in sink of warm water to wash. Light coloured washcloth/towel-it will take the colour out) Tone (or soothe) with witch hazel

DustyKat

Super Moderator
I don't have any experience of Accutane or antibiotics and IBD but there has certainly been discussion about Accutane on this forum in the past. Put Accutane into the search and it will pull up the old threads.

One of the parent's, Catherine, has very recently asked about Doxycycline and acne and there have been quite a few responses on that thread by other parent's and their experiences. This is the thread...

http://www.crohnsforum.com/showthread.php?t=52729

Good luck!

Dusty. xxx

I was treated with some form of antibiotics for acne as a teenager and I started with the symptoms of crohns at the age of 17, Im 38 now, my daughter is on antibiotics for acne and im wondering whether to take her off it?

She has tried everything, she had cystic acne on her face, shoulders back and arms. Her face is really bad. I feel bad for her because some things she has tried have worked for a little while then stopped working. She is 18 and about to start college so she's very self conscious

I went through a few rounds of Accutane and came up with Crohn's just a couple years later and mind you I have no family history of Crohn's or UC anywhere immediate or otherwise. It's awful and very painful but I still tell my mom that secretly I'm still glad that I went on the Accutane. There are treatments and remission for Crohn's but I know I was more sad with the acne and would be even more sad if I was scarred for life. Let your daughter decide what to do. Just tell her that it's a real risk and she should be prepared to live with it. The side effects of the Accutane when you're on it can be pretty harsh too, cracked dry bleeding skin. But I said it once and I will say it again, for me personally it was worth it.

She wants to do it, her dermatologist has said she needs an office visit every month prior to getting it refilled so I feel like they are serious about keeping an eye on her while she's on it sooooo.....

nogutsnoglory

I understand she is young and doesn't want acne but she will regret it big time if she ends up with IBD which is so much worse. Especially since there is likely a predisposition with you having it. Ultimately you need to go with the doctor but I hope that they can offer another choice for her given the potential risks.