• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

I've been saying it for years....

Hello all, my name is Cheryl and I'm here to introduce myself as a new member of the forum and share 'my story' among the ranks of so many others. I am the first to admit that I know absolutely NOTHING about Crohn's Disease....only that I was right.

To sum it all up, I was recently, FINALLY, *OFFICIALLY* diagnosed with Crohns Disease after a 'flare up' that landed me in the hospital for 3 days. It was a real party. I would have LOVED to have told my old physician I TOLD YOU SO! But with my new, and now former, health insurance-- that was not possible. :ymad:

I have known something was VERY wrong with my gut, as it were, since my youngest child, now 15, was just a year or so old....I would get sick once or so every month for a few days at a time or after smoking. It has gradually worsened to that point that now it is quite simply out of control. Until the last two years we have always had health insurance....now we do not. That has put a serious kink in my ability to get help though prior to now the only diagnosis I was ever given was IBS and as this disease has continued to progress I knew there was NO way this was simply IBS; not when I would have situations that well......were beyond horrific.

Last year I began noticing commercials for Crohns Disease, did what little research I could (I am dumbfounded by the lack of information that is available on the internet!) on what it is, what causes it, and what can be done to prevent it....all I see are symptoms. OK, symptoms are great but CD is more than just a bunch of symptom, isn't it?!

Anyway....to break it all down-- I found myself in the hospital for three days after a flare up. It was definitely not my first, nor my worst....it just so happened that I had a doctors appointment that day and he thought it was my appendix; I gladly played along if that's what it took to get help.

So here I am, FINALLY diagnosed with what I've known all along. However, I no longer have insurance...and I'm living off of Immodium AD again. It's a great time, :yfaint:

I'm not usually so cynical (ok....that's not entirely true...) but I think with years of frustration under my belt, I'm to the point where when there's little to laugh at, and that's supposed to be the best medicine, cynicism seems the next logical prescription. :ybatty:

sorry to hear you've been diagnosed w crohns, but on the bright side, now it can be treated correctly and you can enjoy a nice remission :)

Thank you, Joshuaaa...I wish a 'nice remission' were in the cards for me but right now, without insurance I just don't see that being the case. Hubby and I are seeking insurance but that's easier said than done when you're self employed. I've never suffered like this before but since this most recent flare up I've been in constant pain nearly every day. The spasms are relentless and the exhaustion is, well, exhausting. But I do appreciate the support and kind words. I certainly wouldn't be here if I weren't seeking encouragement! :)

Welcome! I hope you start feeling better soon. It is so frustrating when you know something is wrong and get the run around, so even though it isn't the nicest diagnosis to have, I'm glad you got an official diagnosis!