• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

My UC was Successfully Cured by Removing Colon

I had UC real bad. Went through 5 doctors before they found UC. I was pumped up on high doses of prednisone which gave me prolapsed valves in my legs. Many steroids which drove me crazy. Finely found a good doctor in the UV of Penn. who pioneered a workable operation. Removed my colon and made a pouch out of my small intestine. That was 25 years ago. I could not be better. There is hope for most people. I know what most of you have gone through, I had it as bad as it gets. I am as normal as anyone. Its like I don't need a colon. I take Metronidazole 250 mg. once a day to keep stool movements down to once or sometimes twice a day depending on how much liquids I consume a day. I am 100% normal again. I went through the worst of the worst with sickness and all kinds of problems. If the operation is done by the right surgeon chances are you will in a year will be a new person. All I can say is I am cured. It is a tough operation that takes a year to recover from but it is hope for those that can't cope anymore. I was one of them.

Last edited by a moderator:
One thing I did learn is to go to a university hospital where they treat dozens of similar cases and not to a GI doctor in a private practice. Had bad luck with Doctors who thought they had all the answers. Universities see all kinds of cases, much more then Doctors who just treat a few cases. They have light years of experience and teams of Doctors who are much more attune to year specific problems. Take it from experience. Cliff