• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Still no proper diagnosis

I first started having problems 16 years ago when I had my first fistula. Then I contracted salmonella on holiday and from then onwards have had bad bouts of diarrhoea pretty regularly - the last one lasted for over a year. I've been to various doctors and been referred to a hospital four times now.

The first time they told me the fistula would heal itself and sent me away with no explanation. About four years later I tried again and was told I may be coeliac but when it turned out I wasn't, again I was sent away with no explanation.

It got to the point where i gave up and decided id just have to put up with the diarrhea, soreness, pain, fatigue etc but then October I was hospitalised with cellulitis. They tried to blame it on an STI but all tests were clear (despite them losing the results and having to take them again). I moved up to London over Christmas and decided to have another go at getting some answers. When I went to the GUM dept in London I was seen be another consultant who initially assumed an STI and tested me again for everything (still clear) but then asked me if there was any history of Crohns in my family. There is but it's the first time anyone had ever asked and I didn't know enough about it to see a connection.

So in April I was referred to a colorectal surgeon who spotted another fistula and fissure. I had a colonoscopy a few weeks ago which picked up some inflamation at the Furthest point it could get to and I should get my biopsy results in two weeks when I go in for surgery.

It's funny but for years I didn't think too much about it, I just put up with it, but this time around I feel like I really need an answer and to be honest I'm struggling a bit not knowing what's going on. I'm more worried about being told there's no answer again than I am about the surgery.

David

Co-Founder
Hi there and welcome to the community. I'm sorry to hear of your struggles :(

It sounds like you might finally be on the correct tract to get a diagnosis thank goodness. I'm glad to hear you got the colonoscopy and biopsies. I suspect you do indeed have Crohn's but we'll see.

Please keep us updated as to what they find and how you're doing. Again, welcome. We're here for you.