• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

What foods trigger you?

Hi everyone,

Just wondering if anyone has had more success with narrowing down their trouble foods? I know a couple of foods that don't agree with me however as my crohn's is slow building I don't get an immediate reaction from a food so am finding diet control quite tough.

Thanks in advance

Bridget x

I don't get immediate reactions either. It was also difficult for me to learn what kind of diet suited me as it's not certain foods that give me problems so much as what my whole diet consists of. The worst thing for me is fibre. However, I can eat any high fibre food, so long as it's in small quantities. The same with rich foods - a small portion is fine, but too much over too many consecutive days and I feel worse.

It basically took me a lot of trial and error over many months. Trying to attribute particular symptoms to individual foods just made me end up thinking I was seeing correlations where there were none.

SarahBear

Have you tried a food journal? It might make it a little easier to pinpoint exactly what is causing trouble when you have it all written out. :)

Vegetables are my main trigger food. Things like raw veggies and fruits, caffeine, carbonated beverages, dairy, and spicy foods are common triggers so it might help to pay extra attention to those just to make sure.

I hope you can narrow it down soon!