• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Asacol and shoulder/muscle pain

Hey,

Ive been on asacol now for 3 weeks but the past 4 days i have had the worst shoulder/muscle pain. Im wondering if there is a link between the two? i cant remember pulling a muscle or anything and if im sure if i slept funny it would have gone by now or eased!

anyone else experienced this at all?

A very painful/fed up Kim xx

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
I was on Asacol for a couple of years and didn't experience anything like this, and haven't heard of Asacol causing this type of issue. I know that in rare cases, it can cause kidney failure or pancreatitis - those were my GI's two big concerns when he put me on Asacol. And there's always the usual potential side effects, diarrhea, nausea, etc. And it's possible to have an allergic reaction to mesalamine, but I don't think it would manifest in such a way. Have you asked your doctor or pharmacist about it? I think that would be a good place to start. I hope this is just a fluke and the pain goes away soon!