• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Could this be Crohn's?

Hi everyone :) Since this got pretty long I will put headings so you can skip part of it if you want :p

Bit of background
To start out, I have had mild symptoms of occasional bloating and occasional constipation for a few years (Probably 5 or 6 I guess..). About 2 years ago I had a few "episodes" of sudden urgency to have a bowel movement along with pain and then loose bm. At the time, I was under a lot of stress with university and when I went in with something else and mentioned those episodes to the doctor he felt they were stress related. Have not had that occur for well over a year or 2 now.

Where it all really started..
Anyway, now that the background info is out of the way, my "story" started a bit over a year ago when I went away for a week. The food was not good so I ate mostly all gluten/carb stuff like pasta and bread the entire week, whereas normally I eat mostly fruits, veggies, wraps, rice, etc (vegetarian). I became incredibly constipated, not having any amount of bm at all for about 5 days while I was away. I was not bloated though. When I returned home the constipation continued and i started getting very very distended/bloated. I went and purchased OTC products to try and fix the constipation, eventually that worked and I felt relieved and glad things would go back to normal. However, they never have. After that constipation episode was relieved I began bloating with mostly everything I ate, and having pain. I became constipated just as badly again. My frequent headaches that I normally got became even more frequent and often daily. I became very fatigued. Fainted once. I had constant epigastric tenderness and pain, that was sometimes quite bad, other times just very tender and sore. I also had random pains across my abdomen that would almost buckle me over. I thought maybe gas pains? [Someone I knew who had crohn's at the time said it sounded like when she got bowel spasms.]

Celiac?
I started to suspect celiac. This was eventually ruled out and I had an upper endoscopy and colonoscopy, which were both normal. I was not thinking crohn's at all at this time as the doctor said I did not have it. I completely cut out gluten following the scopes as my doctor stated it could be gluten intolerance rather than celiac.

At first I seemed to notice a big improvement from cutting out gluten, constipation was improved, and bloating was decreased. Headaches mostly gone and pain decreased. It seemed I was only bloating when eating dairy like greek yogurt that I was eating really frequently. I thought by cutting out dairy everything would go back to normal. However, things have just gotten worse. I was completely dairy and gluten free for awhile but the bloating just became more and more frequent. I tried cutting out different foods and it was a constant battle to try to find something that I could eat without symptoms. (and when I'm talking bloating, I am talking -looks like I'm 5-6 months pregnant and feels like I'm going to explode, can't sleep- bloating). I tried acupuncture and many treatments such as probiotics, digestive enzymes, apple cider vinegar before eating, simethicone pills, peppermint oil capsules, fennel capsules, etc etc etc. Nothing worked.

Recent symptoms
I don't remember exactly when but probably january I started getting very nauseous. This would happen following most meals. Eventually it sometimes was happening even before I ate, first thing in the morning, or randomly throughout the day. I never wanted to eat. Then I started vomiting. Now I don't know if I should be calling it more reflux or what, as it usually does not involve a lot of gagging and retching, but seems to almost come up on it's own with the nausea, or sometimes even without nausea.

I tried just living on liquids and that seemed to help quite a lot, but eventually I would always "cheat" and start eating again and it's a constant cycle. It feels like when I am "empty" and cleaned out from laxatives, at first I can eat some with minimal nausea/no vomiting. The bloating will start and not be too bad at first. Then the next meal, I will get increasingly nauseous, and the bloating will get must worse. Usually by the 3rd meal or sometimes the next day the bloating will be horrible, and I will start the vomiting or sometimes just have acid or something come up if not undigested food. I still have the constant epigastric pain/tenderness which can get bad at times, but not near what I would describe as excruciating as I have seen a lot of you here use to describe your pain. The bloating will decrease some overnight, but seems to not really go away unless I use a bunch of laxatives, instead it just keeps getting bigger and bigger if I keep eating.

When I returned to my GI with these recent symptoms after trying to fix it myself with diet changes etc for a few months, he feels I may have a narrowing of my small intestine, as this area has never been explored. He thinks with the symptoms food is getting backed up and that's why after a bit it is starting to come back up, and causing the constipation and bloating. He did not elaborate on what the cause for the narrowing may be so I did some reading and saw that strictures from crohn's is one of the more common reasons for narrowing of small intestines. I know these symptoms are not really typical. I do not get diarrhea unless taking laxatives. But I have read on this forum that some of you diagnosed with crohn's do not get diarrhea either. Also, when reading some of your posts on this forum I see many of you saying the pain is worse than labour and childbirth, which is not what I experience. I am confused and just want to be better, and be able to eat like I used to. I feel like an outcast as everyone else can eat and enjoy themselves and I have to basically starve myself to feel good.

I am booked for a CT in a little under 3 weeks. So just wondering if any of you think this could be crohn's? Sorry it's so long.

Did they take biopsies when they did the colonoscopy? Sound more like irritable bowel syndrome (ibs) to be honest.

I don't know if they did during the colonoscopy. Did during the gastroscopy for h.pylori and for celiac (duodenum). I didn't think IBS usually involved the nausea and vomiting. Also thought the pain was usually related to bowel movements rather than being mostly constant and increased after eating. The constipation and possibly bloating could be IBS I give you that.

I feel like IBS is just given as a reason for everything though, so it kind of annoys me.

my little penguin

Staff member
The ct may give you answers if not a pill cam.
Symptoms vary depending on the location and extent of the disease.
My son has constipation and vomiting/nausea but he is the exception not the rule.
His biopsies did confirm crohn's though multiple times.

Good luck

Thank you my little penguin. I'm not sure if the pill cam is available in my area but I will ask if nothing results from the ct.