• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

My new GI doctor says I was misdiagnosed and likely have Crohn's. Can someone please tell me if his opinion is correct?

Hello everyone! Could someone please tell me if my symptoms resemble Crohn's disease or if my new GI doctor is looking in the wrong direction? My IGA levels are low but Celiac blood test is negative and SED rate is normal.

My only chronic symptoms are constant constipation,which is managed relatively well by Miralax, inability to gain weight (BMI is 16.5 and I have to eat lots of junk food to keep it there!), occasional joint pain, and gas. Endocrine wise, everything is okay. However, I get these flare ups around every three months where my digestive system goes hay wire. My bowel habits change in the days before the flare up and the laxative stops working. Then, the day of the flare up, my abdomen swells twice its size and my left rib protrudes. Hours later, I get 10 out of 10 pain in my abdomen from my hip bones down to my pelvic region that comes in waves. This pain is not triggered by eating habits, activity, or stress and is not relieved by anything at all. At the start of the pain I am constipated. Then, after about two hours, I get severe diarrhea, vaginal spasms, dizziness, and sweat profusely, and the abdominal cramps worsen. After four to six hours, the cramping becomes less severe and reaches the level of menstrual cramps, which I have then for the next one to two days. My bowel habits then return to normal.

My doctor wants me to have an endoscope and colonoscopy.

It's difficult to say for sure, Crohn's can have very different effects on different people. I will say that your symptoms don't scream Crohn's to me. Most people with Crohn's would have longer periods of ongoing digestive troubles, mainly urgent and frequent diarrhea for weeks to months on end. From my experience, Crohn's flares don't go away in a day or two. But then again, others here might disagree.

I certainly wouldn't rule it out. The colonoscopy is definitely the best thing you can do if Crohn's is suspected, that is the best way to see what's going on.

Cross-stitch gal

Staff member
Hi and Welcome to the forum! :welcome:

I'm afraid that I'm not quite sure either. But, if your GI is anything like mine he's more of a hands on type of doctor. I think he's just wanting to check everything out. Let's just hope that he gets all the info he needs. If he can diagnose you with one of the tests, that's always a plus! Please keep us updated. Take care! :hug:

Last edited: