• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

The date is set....Yikes!!!

Hi Guys,
First I'd like to say thank you, all of you for sharing your stories. You have no idea how much being part of this forum has helped me open my eyes and change how I feel about my susrgery coming up.

The date is set for 9/27. To some that's a ways from now but to me, its like right @ the corner! Lol. I'm still in shock I guess and yesterday when I was signing all this paperwork with the Dr, I kept asking myself, "Is this really happening?" So I'm still nervous and alil upset that its come to this. However, I'd be a hysterical wreck I'd I hadn't learned so much bout having a colostomy.

I'll cont to keep u guys posted. Right now, I'm feeling okay with my decision. But who knows maybe next week or month I'll be an emotional disaster!!! Lol

:hug:Hi C G!!
So glad your date is set now. Relax and know how many people on here have had such great relief from this surgery and you are next! Trust the Good Lord to be with you through it all and he will! He has gotten me through several and I am fine today. I will be praying for you. Keep me posted,ok?:)

Cool. Now you can start planning ahead for what to take to the hospital, getting things set up at home (paying bills, "spring" cleaning, freezing meals), and reading as much information as you can get your hands on about the surgery itself and what to expect as your body adjusts.

It really helps that you've got a date set. You'll still have your panic moments, but getting the date set is calming in its own way.

Thank you guys for your support. @ 2thFairy, I love how u think. I'm not much of a planner but having this much time instead of freaking out, I can do all those things u mentioned above. I have a feeling I'll be more than prepared this time around. Lol.

I'm going to be in the same position as you soon, except for an ileostomy. I've just had the letter telling me when my meetings with the post-op nurse, enhanced recovery nurse and stoma nurse are going to be.

I can't wait for mine as if all goes to plan my quality of life will be a lot better than it is now.

Even if you don't feel that that's going to be the case for you, you will at least be reducing your chances for complications in the future. It will be well worth having an operation and stoma - otherwise your surgeon wouldn't be recommending it!

I hope you'll report on how your recovery goes, and please ask if you ever want any support from someone going through the same thing. :)

DJW

Forum Monitor
I'm in the group of people who's life started after ileostomy surgery. Wishing you the very best results.

@Crohnzie girl that is the same date my surgery is set for. I too feel like I am ok with the decision but once in awhile I have a panicked feeling. I know this needs to be done though. I am having a permanent colostomy, there really isn't much hope for a reversal so I just decided to do permanent and hopefully be done with it. Wishing you much luck on your surgery and recovery!!!

Oh wow! The same date?!? Lol. I know what you mean though bout feeling positive this surgery is for the best and we can get our life back under control. I jus recently got back from vacation in PR. I was sick the entire time. I tried to stay positve and not cry bc I didn't want my family to feel awkward or ruin their vaca bc of me. But after that trip, I'm looking forward to having a colostomy now more than ever. I'm so done missing out on all the fun. Time to take back my life! Lol. I wish you all the best with your surgery and maybe we can keep in touch throught the procedure....that way we don't feel so alone. Lol.

Yikes indeed! I think the waiting has got to be the hardest part, as it gives you even more time to agonize over all the "what ifs".
I hope the time flies for you, and that your surgery gives you a happier and healthier you.

As a side note, I noticed in your signature that you wrote that you failed all those medications.
I think a more positive approach going forward is that they failed you.
Best of luck Crohnzie Girl. I'll be rooting for you!

Hi Bowelmeover! You know what? Your absolutely right!!! They failed me!!!! Lol Funny how jus one simple word can change a whole attitude. Thanks for that you kinda jus brightened up my day. Hope you have a great day as well! :)

annawato

Staff member
All the best Crohnzie girl, the hard part is done, making the decision to get it done. 2thfairy has some great advice there, something to help you prepare and take your mind off any worries. Remember we are all here to support you - answer any questions or provide a shoulder to cry on or someone to relate a funny story to - we especially love those. :)

All the best to you too nmgonzo- same date wow! ostomy twins!

And you to UnXmas!