• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Methotrexate to Humira?

Hi
I have been taking Methotrexate for the past 6 months and I am feeling better for the first time since I was diagnosed over 15 years ago. Being on it has almost made the diarrhea stop and I have put on weight for the first time after being skinny nearly all my life. I actually feel and look healthy for a change!
Apart from the slight nausea, I have no other issues.
My doc now wants me to switch to Humira injections every 2 weeks and drop Metho but I'm concerned that I will be back to square one again pre-metho.

Can taking Methotrexate long term cause any major issues and is Humira a better alternative? I would rather stick to Metho but the doc recommends Humira as Infliximab did not make a difference in the past.

Thanks

Your doctor is nuts.

Firstly, I've been on methotrexate for 2 years without issues. It's been around forever and has a higher safety profile than these new biologics, which are still relatively new. Just make sure to take your folate and stay up on your blood work every few months to check for liver functionality.

Secondly, and most importantly, if something's working why would you stop?! What is his reasoning?

Of course there's that little issue where methotrexate is off-patent now and costs next to nothing. And Humira gives Abbott Labs like $1000/shot...