• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Starting Metho

I am starting methotrexate at 15 mg/week. I am also on Humira every 10 days, 20 mgs of Paxil, and 9 mgs of Entocort/day. What side effects should I look out for the most? Doc said at this low dosage I hopefully won't have any, but I don't believe him because I always have side effects.

Thanks for any advice. I am SO sick of being sick.

Sorry you are having a tough time. I am on 25mg of methotrexate but started on a lower dose and worked my way up. The only side effect I had was nausea but they gave me omzoprezol to take to help and after a couple of months of taking methotrexate the nausea had gone completely. It still makes me feel a bit tired on the day of taking it but its nothing that's to difficult to deal with. Unfortunatley for me its not working as well now so I am adding in cimzia to get things back under control. It is always daunting starting a new medication but hope things work well for you and you can start feeling better

Thanks for responding. My mom remembered last night that when I was about 15 I had a bone marrow biopsy and I have hypocellularity--my bone marrow doesn't produce enough cells. It looks like methotrexate also makes you produce less cells, so we are double checking with the doctor that it's even safe for me to start.

lblair-I've been on Humira over 5 years.

Started methotrexate last night. Doc said it would also help my joint pain. Fingers crossed. If this doesn't work I don't know what we'll do because surgery again isn't an option. I have Crohn's all over. And I've been on everything except Cimzia and Tsabri but he thinks I'd have the same issues with those.

I really hope it works for you. I am in a similar position I am waiting to start cimzia but have been through all other available medications so my next stop would be surgery or trials. Got my fingers and toes crossed for you