• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Has anyone tried 6MP and Cimzia Combo?

Hi Everyone,

I just finished my 3rd Loading Dose of Cimzia and it seems to be working, I have had moderate diarrhea this weekend but it could have been something I had eaten.

Anyway, the GI doctor wants to add 6MP to the Cimzia regimen I am on. Does anyone have this same combo of Cimzia and 6MP?

Are there any bad side effects?

Thank you so much!

CrohnsChicago

Super Moderator
Hello there!

I have never taken the combination (although I am on 6-mp) but I wanted to throw some support your way and bump up your thread for responses.

I'm glad to hear you feel the Cimzia is working and it's very common to combine medications in this way. Hopefully someone who has personally tried this will come along soon.

Wishing you the best! :hug:

nogutsnoglory

I'm not on the combo but my GI suggests it. It's not uncommon for a biologic and immunosuppressive to be combined for optimal treatment and to prevent or delay the creation of antibodies against the biologic.

My daughter was on this combination of drugs, and it did absolutely nothing to help her. She is now on Stelara and it has been great so far!

This is something my doc is considering. I've been on Cimzia (in addition to Pentasa & Entocort) since June with no signs of improvement. What did you end up trying Newway? Has anyone else tried this combo?

Thanks!

John

I tried it. It did nothing but lower my white blood cells too much and make my hair fall out. Soon after, I stopped both medications and switched to Remicade. I've been great ever since.

Thanks for the reply. I've already failed Remicade due to a reaction, tried Humira but then my doc stopped it post op a couple years ago so that wasn't an option (they figure I have antibodies now). So we're trying Cimzia with no results after 4 month. We'll see, I guess.

Hi Everyone,

I have been off line for awhile waiting to see if this combo of Cimzia and Imuran were working. I am happy to report after my colonoscopy on Tuesday that I am in remission! I hope this combo works for others. Wishing everyone good health and faith :)

Newway- that's awesome!!! Congrats!! Did you have any side effects with the combo? Are hey going to keep you on both medications?

Hi LoveArtBaby,

I really didn't experience many side effects but I have felt a little more fatigue since starting the combo. It's not that bad though.
At this point I think they are going to keep me on the combo.

I have been on 100 mg Azathioprine (Imuran) for over a yr and my GI dr has just added Cimzia because I still flare and end up on steriods every 3 to 4 months. we tried to increase my azathioprine but my liver did not like that so, Cimzia was added once my liver calmed down.. I just did my first set of shots today. A little rash on my neck but otherwise not too bad. Definitely recommend the cold pack first. Good luck to everyone!