• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

I think I have a fistula/fissue but I'm not sure..

Hi guys,

I'm beginning to get a bit scared I have a fistula or something like it. I dont really know what exactly it is, and reading through hasnt really shed much light for me. I'll describe below what I'm experiencing and see if anyone can enlighten me.

I have skin tags, and what I have been thinking is piles, round my anus. They are painful, hurt when I go to the toilet. After I go to the toilet, it hurts to sit down. I havent particularly noticed any discharge or anything from it though.

What's making me think of maybe a fistula, is that I was looking at healthy woman website and saw this

'Another common complication is development of a fistula, literally a hole between two organs. Symptoms depend on where the fistula forms, but include vomiting, gas when you urinate (you'll see bubbles in your urine), a grainy vaginal discharge and recurrent urinary tract infections. Fistulas can be managed with medication, but sometimes require surgery to repair.In some women, the fistulas may affect the vagina, and they could have the sensation of air or liquid coming out of the vagina. '

I was diagnosed with a urine infection a few weeks ago, while I was in hospital for the day. I have also had a vaginal discharge with blood for a few weeks, that gets worse just after I've had a BM. I've not really concentrated much on it, thought it was just the urine infection I am still taking antibiotics for. I also have the sensation of air and liquid, mostly in the morning when I just wake up when I really need the toilet.

I'm scared :( can someone explain to me in simple terms what exactly a fistula/fissure is? And if you think this might be one? How can I tell? How do I stop it?

Hate this stupid disease :( its one thing after another, I feel disgusting.

FYI, I've posted on here because my consultant nurse is on holiday until Monday, and I dont really trust anyone else.

K xx

I wish I could be more help, but was diagnosed really recently, and only found out I had a fistula last week. I assumed mine was piles, but I did have occasional discharge. I think the only way to really tell if you have a fistula is to get an MRI - is there anyone else you can contact to get an MRI set up?

As for treatment, there's alot of information on the fistula support group. Alot of people seem to have success with the biologics. Again, I wish I was more help, but I know how scary it is to suspect you have a fistula. Good luck, and I hope you can get some answers soon.

I know about fissures. They look like a tiny cut, they bleed, red and painful skin around the anus. My daughter's fissure went away with biologics. I believe a fistula is like a tunnel between two places. I hope you feel better soon.

Hi,
I have 2 fistulas that drain to the outside. What you are describing sure sounds like a fistula. The air, the blood, the infections. Fistulas occur when the body tries to get rid of an infection. The pus has to go somewhere and the body doesn't want it. Pressure around the infection causes the pus to travel until it finds a way out or to another organ (bladder, vagina, any organ including skin). It is very painful at this point, especially when it breaks threw the skin. I too get these weird "air" feelings.:eek2::eek2: It is gas finding its way from my rectum threw the fistula. It really feels funny. Please see your doctor and I hope you are feeling better real soon. George

Thanks guys :)

I spoke to my consultant nurse today and she agrees that it sounds like I have a fistula :(

She is going to speak to my GI doc and get the process started for some sort of MRI scan. Hopefully it doesnt take too long, this breaking wind through my vag is beginning to get a bit weird! Luckily myself and my partner have a good sense of humour about it, and as its not really causing me any pain right now (except for when having BM) what else can you do but laugh really?

Just had a call from my consultant nurse. She has told me to go to my GP for vaginal swabs to test for other infections first then go back to them. She is then going to put me on Flagyl, arrange for a gyno (sp) appointment, then go for an MRI.

Does this sound about right? I'm scared.

Hi Aphrodite, Don't be scared, you are headed in the right direction it sounds like. I take Flagyl's cousin, Cipro. I'm currently taking it right now and it is helping to reduce my swelling and oozzing that the fistula is doing. You have a very good chance of responding to this med. When it clears up you will feel much better. Next will be to find the cause. As you know, fistulas are caused by abscesses. You are under a lot of stress which can cause its own problems. If you can, get more rest, drink more water and watch what you eat. Drill your doctor and express that you want this fixed. I've had my fistulas for over a year - recovery is little steps for me.
:smile::smile: Hang in there. George

I agree, Aphrodite, that is a good action plan to relieve the symptoms you are having and to determine if you have a fistula or not. Like the others have said, a fistula is an abnormal tunnel caused by inflammation. The tunnels can link from the bowel to other parts of the bowel, other organs or to the skin.

Still having pains in my tummy today, my lady bits though not normal crohns pains. Its worrying me a bit, and I've told my consultant nurse, so she's told me to go for the swabs asap. I'm going this afternoon after work so fingers crossed this process gets started pretty quickly.

I want my life back :( I just feel disgusting.