• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

My story

I have been battling crohns disease since 2007. I wasn't formally diagnosed until October 2012 via a Prometheus blood test with a colonoscopy in March 2013. It all started during a 9 day field training exercise in ft. Jackson. I am in the army and have been in 7 years now. During the exercise I noticed abdominal pain and feeling constipated. MREs are mainly soy and that's what triggered it. Never had soy before basic. Upon coming back from the field I lost enough blood from that first movement to pass out coming downstairs. I had a thrombosed hemorrhoid that was later removed. While removing it they found 3 fissures. These were fixed in Kuwait with a sphinctorotomy in 2008. I then developed a fistula in my belly button in Iraq and a cyst in my neck. These led to me being referred for testing for crohns. I started on entocort ec and mesalamine. Mesalamine helped some but the steroid has nearly gotten me an article 15. I am now medically nondeployable after 2 tours and a bum knee. I am taking remicade as of yesterday. Feeling kinda mousy now. Hopefully it works. If not... I don't mind being Med boarded out. My unit is finally getting my line of duty papers approved so I can get my va compensation. That's my story so far. 2 surgeries some steroids and one infusion. I just want my butt to not hurt and get my energy back for my 1 year old son.

David

Co-Founder
Hi Daniel and welcome to the community. I'm glad they finally got you on Remicade as those other meds were nowhere near strong enough for the type of Crohn's you have.

Has the fistula in your belly button healed or is it still there?

All my best to you.

Thankfully it is starting to heal. My bad knee doesn't hurt either. My good knee and the hip I didn't injure for some reason have been having pains. Probably my body adjusting to the medicine.

nogutsnoglory

I cannot imagine what it must be like to be in the army and have poor energy and a son you need to care for when you are weak and sick. Welcome to the forum and I hope you will get much better shortly.

My left knee has patella femoral pain syndrome and my right hip had a stress fracture in AIT. Surprisingly there is no pain. My pain is in my left hip and right knee now. And shoulders. I woke up with energy though without needing coffee