• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

My life.

I've had Crohn's and Colitis since I was six and a half. I've had a total colectomy Colostomy bags ect ect. I've been on social security for all of my life. I somehow need to be able to find some type of Job or Schooling so I can maybe help my situation. If there is ANYONE who can help please do so.
Thank you so much.
Kyle Carlin

nogutsnoglory

Are you in the position to go out and work now? If not maybe you can do part time work or a job from home or online schooling?

I am but the thing is if I start working I lose all of my benifits. Its really weird the situation I'm in. I'm 25 and still no clue what to do in life. All I really have is my music.

nogutsnoglory

That's true but if you are healthy enough to do it you will make much more money than whatever your benefit rate is and you will find you are getting a sense of purpose and being productive. The goal is for to live our lives as normally as possible and not let this illness take over.

There is a great deal of information on the Social Security website (ssa.gov) that explains quite a few options that will allow you to work while still receiving all of your disability benefits. For example, for the first 9 months of employment, you can earn as much as you want and your benefits stay the same. They will then give you another 3 years in which you can earn up to 1010.00 with no changes to your benefits or your disability rating.

I would also not rule out volunteering. Sometimes the rewards are greater than a paycheck. Best of luck to you!