• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Latest newbie joining the ranks

Hi all,

I'm new to this forum and brand new to Crohn's. I haven't been back to my GI since my colonoscopy so I don't know the results of the biopsies but the GI thinks it's Crohn's. I also seem to have pretty mild symptoms so far (based on some of the symptoms people in this forum and online have).

Obviously I hope it goes into remission easily but I'm starting to prepare myself for worse symptoms and a long fight. So far I'm just on Asacol.

I'm glad to see this forum, it looks very helpful and supportive.

Hi Mike and welcome :) you've come to the right place if you want to chat or vent about Crohns. Between the members here we've had more than our fair share of experience with the disease.

While you wait for a diagnosis I recommend you look at our undiagnosed club as people there may be having simmilar experiences to you.

Crohns can be a scary diagnosis, but at least when you are diagnosed your GI can start recommending the right kinds of treatments for you. I hope you start to feel better soon and it doesn't take too long to get your results back.

valleysangel92

Staff member
Hello and welcome to the forum :). Im glad you've found us.

You say you have only mild symptoms, do you mind me asking what these are? Have they improved at all since you started the medication?
How long is it until you see your GI again? Im sorry to ask questions but they help us help you.

Crohns can be a hard condition to come to terms with, but youve definitely come to the right place for help, support, encouragement and a shoulder to cry on if you ever need it at all. Everyone here is in the same position and we're all here to help each other, dont be shy to ask any questions or just have a little rant if you're having a bad day.

Like Pointyears says, I hope you get your diagnosis confirmed soon and they can work out the best treatment plan for you. :)

Hi valleysangel92,

Happy to answer questions. My main symptom, which sent me to the doctor to begin with, is cramping associated with BM and a change in overall bowel habits. Now I mostly go in the morning, it's a bit loose but not quite D. I 'feel' my gut most of the time, but only get crampy pain occasionally. My first symptoms were in April, I saw my GP in May, GI in June and diagnosed in July so I'm pretty happy with the speed that they got to a diagnosis. (My GI is pretty sure Crohn's but no results from biopsies yet).

I go back to my GI in 2 weeks - I think he wanted to see if Asacol had any effect before I came in. My GP is having me do a bunch of vaccinations and I'm on Iron because of the blood loss (occult, not noticable).

I'd say that my symptoms are about the same as a month ago, but I also started Asacol and Iron so I'm not sure if the are causing symptoms as well.

Thanks for the responses - it's great to talk to folks who have been here.

valleysangel92

Staff member
I can relate to the crampy pain, as can a lot of people here I'm sure, you may find that heat will help to deal with this if it ever gets too much. Its good that things have been so speedy :) a lot of people have a drawn out diagnosis which can give the disease time to get a lot worse. Hopefully this means that yours has been caught early and you can get it under good control quickly :).

Thats good, its not too long then. I can understand him wanting to wait and see if the Asacol would have some effect first. If he doesnt feel its been working well enough he may mention putting you on a course of steroids. Steroids can be very good for giving the disease a quick blast to get the disease under control. They do have a lot of side effects but they can be very useful. After the steroids you can be put on a more long term med that will hopefully take you into, and keep you in remission.

Im not sure about the Asacol but I know that Ive had iron tablets in the past that have given me stomach cramps and made me feel sickly, so you may want to bring this up at your next appointment.

nogutsnoglory

Welcome to the forum, you are absolutely right it's a great and supportive environment.

I'm curious if your doctor explained why they chose Asacol? It's generally used for Ulcerative Colitis but can be used for Crohn's if your disease is in your colon. If your disease is in the small intestine which is more common with Crohn's the only Mesalamine drugs similar to Asacol that can help are Pentasa and Apriso.

Hi nogutsnoglory,

I haven't had a chance to ask, and didn't know to ask at the time, but since I've done some research and seen some discussions here I'm certainly wondering. It's top of my list to ask when I go in. Maybe he was waiting for the biopsy results before doing other drugs.

It's possible I know I was put on pentasa prior to getting the biopsy results through, then the steroids and azathioprine started. A lot of Crohns meds are fairly powerful drugs so it's always best to start small and work your way up I guess!

I saw my GI again today. He believes I have Crohn's Colitis, he didn't see any evidence of inflammation in the ileum or rectum. He's keeping me on Asacol (actually, the generic version) and is adding Purinethol (6MP). They did biopsies, but the pathology wasn't definite.

I saw my GI again today. He believes I have Crohn's Colitis, he didn't see any evidence of inflammation in the ileum or rectum. He's keeping me on Asacol (actually, the generic version) and is adding Purinethol (6MP). They did biopsies, but the pathology wasn't definite.
Wasn't definitive as whatever it is colitis or Crohn's, or that there is inflammation? I'm surprised they could put you on 6-mp without any evidence. Did you do any blood works?

I've had the regular blood work a few times lately. Today he just sent me for Albumin and C Reactive Protein. I've been reading that TPMT is recommended before starting, but he didn't mention it. He may have had it done in the hospital when I had my colonoscopy. I will phone and ask about blood work.

Hi mike, I just had a colonoscopy as well in June, and my biopsies came back positive for Crohn's. I'm in the same boat as you, and hope this is over soon for you!