• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Starting Humira and Have Had a Past Negative Experience

Hello everyone!

I've been through several diagnoses since 1990 - first ulcerative colitis; then Behcet's disease; and finally Crohn's.

I've also taken most of the medications available in Canada: Methotrexate; Arava; Enbrel; Humira (one injection) Remicade. I felt great on Enbrel, but developed fulminant Crohn's disease while taking it. This prompted me to start Remicade in 2008, which also helped me to feel very well. Unfortunately, it has quit working despite increasing doses and 4-week infusion intervals.

Since I can no longer ignore the pain, I've agreed to start Humira. The first time I took it, my rheumatologist prescribed it. There was no loading dose--just one injection after which I felt like I had the flu. I ended up seriously ill in hospital and was started on Remicade.

So, I pretty scared about trying Humira--I'm hoping my initial experience with Humira had something to do with not having had a loading dose.

Has anyone had a negative experience with Humira, but then went on to achieve remission?

Thanks for any support you may be able to provide.

Steph

PsychoJane

Do you know if the reaction you had was directly related to humira? I mean, I don't see why 1 pen rather than 4 would make a difference on that aspect and the flu like reaction is not something I often heard. Has it ever been said that it was an allergic reaction or something?

Hi Jane,

Thanks for your response--I don't know exactly what caused the reaction I experienced. I wonder if it had something to do with the fact that I no longer had Enbrel in my system and didn't receive a loading dose of Humira. At least I hope that was the case.

I'm very concerned about a repeat performance.

Steph

I used to have the achy, fatigue, ran over by a truck feeling the day after but that went away though the fatigue held on. Not to the extent you are describing. :( I don't blame you for being gunshy. Hopefully someone else has info for you.