• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

New member - help!

Hi everybody,

I just signed up on the forums and I am already being overwhelmed by so much good information. I am supposed to be on a liquid-only diet. I also have SMA Syndrome. I've been prescribed by my GI to take Peptamen (with Prebio) 1.5 Cal Vanilla meal replacement drink. I'm not yet on any kind of feeding tube or PICC line, so oral liquids is the only option right now.

Somebody had listed a page dedicated to Enteral, TPN, and other feeding options. Can someone please direct me to that page? I am not doing well on the Peptamen and need some other options.

Also, please let me know your experiences with liquid nutrition. Any help is so so appreciated!

Thank you!

Amanda

Hi - thank you very much for the information!! I am not on any medications and am "untreated". I actually have a metabolism syndrome which prevents me from taking most medicines, so I don't see an easy way out of this...

I have a multitude of other diseases and "mystery symptoms" in addition to those that are still undiagnosed. I have severe Crohn's with duodenitis, ileitis, jejunitis, fistulas, diverticulitis, strictures, and so much more I cannot remember. I also tested positive for Celiac Disease. I have bleeding ulcers and extreme GERD and just found out I'm anemic.

I just last week got diagnosed with a rare and highly fatal GI/vascular disease called SMA Syndrome on top of all of this (you can find this info on Wikipedia under Superior Mesenteric Artery Syndrome). My current and past symptoms are listed in the attached documents. They are quite extensive and I don't expect most to make it through reading it all; but they are there for reference just in case.

I also have Lupus, Sjogren's, and other autoimmune disorders including autoimmune thyroiditis, neuropathy in my feet (paresthesia) of unknown origin, Unspecified Neurologic Disease w/Seizures, and the list goes on and on and on....

I am not on a full liquid diet yet, and am supposed to be on it until everything is corrected. I haven't had any surgeries yet but it is a definite I will have them according to the doctors I've seen.

My most recent doctor who runs an IBD only clinic, took extreme time to research my bloodwork and did a physical exam and very quickly said "This is NOT just Crohn's. This is end stage." We may be dealing with something like cancer.

My Crohn's is even in my mouth and throat, where I have ulcers and pain like I can't describe.

My problem is my case is complex, my body is dying, and no doctor wants anything to do with it. I have so much muscle wasting and weight loss and malabsorption and malnutrition it horrifies doctors, and they say, "We can't help you," and that's the POLITE way - most times it's very traumatic and ends with me crying on the way home. They all say go to a specialty hospital like Cleveland or Mayo or Hopkins but then discharge me without referral. And the application process is grueling. I do now have a referral but am still getting "you're too sick" (??!).

The liquid diet should sustain me a little while until one accepts me but my body is so starved and failing I don't know. The local hospitals just stabilize my vitals and refer me out. I've never seen such a horrible breakdown in our medical care system. The more weight I lose and muscle wasting I have the SMA Syndrome gets worse and will result in total obstruction.

I hope to not be rejected on this forum due to the complexity of my case, but instead to be welcomed, and maybe someone out there has been through something similar. Even if not, I will try to ask simple questions to just answer questions I have when they arise. I am desperately ill and hope to be an example of a fighting survivor, but I will need a team of doctors for that.

This forum is overwhelming with amazing information and posts. Do you have any ones in particular you feel would be the best for me to read first based upon my disease(s)? And if anyone has any knowledge of extremely exceptional doctors/hospitals with an interdisciplinary approach and a diagnostician who can help figure me out, or just a good GI, or anything, I will go anywhere in the country as long as the hospitals have a heart and won't stop fighting to save my life, and are kind in the process.

I do have some home health care. I have a walker as well as physical and occupational therapists helping me getting my strength back. I fill many forms day to day.

Thank you again for your help. My information is attached. Sending my love to both those that are struggling and those that are healthy survivors. <3

Attachments

valleysangel92

Staff member
Im sorry you are going through so much and that so many doctors have been so dismissive, you don't deserve that at all. I just wanted to let you know that we are all here for you, we wont ever reject you or push you to the side. We may not have all the answers or know what to do for you, but we will always try to support you in any way we can, even if its just letting you have a good rant and a cry to get everything out of your system. You can be as open with us as you feel comfortable with and we wont turn our backs on you. Everyone here is very supportive and friendly and im very glad you've found us.

Sending lots of hugs, prayers, and healing thoughts your way, keep your chin up, you're doing brilliantly!

Thank you for the kind words, Nicola!

I spoke to a patient advocate today to help me out with getting a handle on everything. Has anybody ever had any experience with paid health care advocates before? I am overwhelmed and need any kind of help I can get.