• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Humira injection local reaction

my little penguin

Staff member
I have given DS his humira shot in the back of his arm tonight
Nice red hive like but not raised
Within a few inches of the injection site

Anyone else get a local reaction ?

Just nervous given all of DS's allergies .
Will be calling Gi/allergist Monday
Sigh......

Last edited by a moderator:

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Fair dinkum mlp, where does it end for you and your lad. :( Bless you both...:ghug:

I hope more than anything it is a passing anomaly and nothing more! Good luck!

Dusty. xxx

Maya142

Staff member
My daughter had a couple of reactions like that on her thighs with Humira. They got better over time and her rheumatologist was not too concerned about it (she hadn't been diagnosed with Crohn's yet so GI wasn't in the picture). They didn't really bother her so we never did anything about it. I think she had them the first few months after starting Humira but I'm not sure when exactly. She's never had any issues with allergies though.
Hope your son feels better soon.
Maya

PsychoJane

I had that a few months after I started humira. It kept happening for months after. Always about 1-1,5 inch in diameter bumpy and extremely itchy patch around the injection site that would last for 3 days or about.

I don't want to alarm you or anything but I came up with the theory that these were the early signs of my antibodies building. Just my hypothesis but keep an eye for side effects (I'm more referring long terms one here) just in case.

my little penguin

Staff member
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/jgh.12255/abstract
Gastrointestinal: Cutaneous reaction associated with loss of response to adalimumab.

I can't read the article but the title says it all
If it was the injection site I would feel better but these were satellite hives two to three of them a few inches away from the injection site on either side.

He started with skin reactions to remicade and that did not go well.
First he had blisters
Then arm reactions( 3 months in)
Then torso reactions
Then skin peeling / face rashes
Then throat breathing reactions
So remicade was stopped on his eighth infusion

He has had
Seven humira shots so far ( 3 months)
3 at 20 mg and 4 at 40 mg

my little penguin

Staff member
The tumor necrosis factor ’ (TNF’) inhibitors etanercept and infliximab have shown good clinical results in the treatment of rheumatoid arthritis and other autoimmune disorders. With these novel fusion proteins, immune-mediated side effects, among them various cutaneous reactions, have been encountered. We report herein the case of an erythema multiforme–like skin reaction to treatment with the monoclonal anti- TNF’ antibody adalimumab in a patient with rheuma- toid arthritis. The reaction occurred after the sixth injection and affected the palms and soles as well as the injection site. Discontinuation of the adalimumab ther- apy resulted in rapid improvement of the condition. Although this patient was receiving concomitant immu- nomodulatory therapy with methotrexate and lefluno- mide, these medications were not discontinued when the reaction developed, and no other potential pathogenetic mechanisms were identified. We believe the reaction is most likely attributable to adalimumab

From
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/store/10.1002/art.20155/asset/20155_ftp.pdf?v=1&t=hjwtk2yi&48c459df

Maya142

Staff member
Now that you mention it I think my daughter had those reactions once she stopped mtx, so it's possible that she had started developing antibodies then. Humira continued to work for a year after that though.

MLP, We've been doing Humira for 2 1/2 years. We've had times where there is some red around the injection site. Those times it usually looked better the next day and didn't last long. Brian was tested on July 25th for antibodies (just since he's experienced some low inflammation off and on). No antibodies. So the site reactions on occasion were no indication of that.
I've never heard of doing it in the back of the arm. Is that a new approved spot? We always do the leg.

my little penguin

Staff member
Humira is sub cutaneous injection since it is meant to be self injected that leaves the thighs or stomach
But sub-q areas are back of the arms , thighs and stomach.
He has had redness around the injection site before but these were hive shaped with distinct edges away from tge injection site so definite allergic reaction.
So could be igE based or antibodies to drug .

Last edited:
We've never done arms for the injections, but Alex would occasionally rash up. Finally figured out it was a sensitivity/reaction to the rubbing alcohol. He gets it with blood draws too. And not all the time.

:ghug:

I hope you get some answers soon MLP.

Praying this morning that those reactions stop and Humira can work some magic with you boy! ((((Hugs)))

CarolinAlaska

Holding It Together
I hope it ends up being nothing. Do they add lidocaine to the injection like some other meds to help with the pain factor? If so, maybe it is the lidocaine?

my little penguin

Staff member
No lidocaine just plain humira.
He had a similar reaction to iv contrast dye which was documented as an allergy/reaction.
He now requires pred for 24 -48 hours before plus Benadryl for any contrast dye or barium.

Tesscorm

Staff member
MLP, just wondering how your son is doing? Hoping you haven't seen any more reactions but are seeing more improvement! :ghug: