• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

GORE BIO plug 50:50 success rate??...is the cup half full or empty?

50/50 chance for successful fistula repair...is the cup half full or empty?

In 1/2011, I had surgery to drain an abscess that I have had for over a year that developed when I was pregnant. I have hx of ulcerative colitis since 2001, IPAA surgery and illeostomy reversal in 2002/2003. Have not had any real difficulty with my pouch other than some pouchitis intermittently. However, this abscess was NOT gong away and would get very angry at time. So, I agreed to surgery. During surgery, he found a double fistula which I now have a setons for. One a vaginal fistual that connects to my JPouch and the other fistula that connects to the vaginal fistula.

Fast forward a yr and a half and I am getting ready to have the vaginal fistula repaired with the GORE BIO tissue reinforcement and the other one packed. After a surgery consultation this week I am considering pulling out of surgery bc of the low success rate...50/50 sounds a hot shot of a chance to take. He said if this doesn't work...our next stop is a ileostomy. Which scares me to pieces.
Anyone, or anyone post IPAA surgery with fistula, abscess or similar situation please let me know.

Last edited: