• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Apriso vs Asacol

Have been on Asacol for over 15 years. Recently switched to Apriso due to Asacol not being manufactured anymore. Nothing but problems with stomach pain, bloating. Did not have any problems with the Asacol. Any ideas as to why? Both contain the same mesalamine! Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa:(

They do release at different areas. Asacol is designed to release at PH7 or greater and apriso I think is PH6. Which means, if I'm not mistaken that the Apriso releases in the colon and the Asacol releases in the terminal ileum so Apriso may not treat the TI area if you have inflammation there.

I'm really not certain on the release areas just quoting from their websites:

Each Asacol delayed-release tablet for oral administration contains 400 mg of mesalamine, an anti-inflammatory drug. The Asacol delayed-release tablets are coated with acrylic based resin, Eudragit S (methacrylic acid copolymer B, NF), which dissolves at pH 7 or greater, releasing mesalamine in the terminal ileum
source

APRISO begins releasing mesalamine at a pH ≥ 6 and gradually distributes it throughout the colon.
source

I don't have any experience with 5ASA's so I can't be of any help in regards to side effects or different formulations, hopefully someone will come along shortly with more info and experience. Good luck.