• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

6mp Newbie...

So, after exhausting all the TNF-Blockers, I am now going to be joining the 6mp club. I'm getting the blood test to see if I can take it in a week, and if all goes well then I will be starting soon after. I can't think of any questions at the moment (all though I know I will be able to as soon as I post this), but I just wanted to hear about y'all's experiences with 6mp. What dosage are you on, side effects, did it put you in remission?...You know, the basics. I'm a little concerned about the possible side effect of nausea, because I suffer with that from my Crohn's anyway. I guess I'm a little overwhelmed about it, although I am glad to finally try something that isn't a TNF-Blocker since those didn't sit well with me. Uggh...yikes:eek2:

I was just prescribed 6-mp and am afraid to take it...I've been on entocort but can't stay on it forever tho it's been helping. I really don't think I can bring myself to do it , I have the pills and stared at them for ab 20 minutes this morning but literally felt sick when I started thinking ab the potential side effects (especially lymphoma and bone marrow failure). I think I'm going to taper off entocort and try just not taking anything for a while and see how it goes. wasn't trying to be a downer, I hope it works side effect free for u but I don't think I can do it.

I know how you feel. It's hard starting a new med, especially one that has potential life-changing side effects. You just really have to look at all the angles; are your symptoms running your life, are you willing to put up with worsening symptoms if you go med free for a while, do you feel that you can maintain your disease better with diet than meds, have your flares been bad...etc. I wish you luck with whatever you chose, just remember that sometimes the benefits meds can bring are worth the unlikely chance of getting serious side effects. But in the end, you know your body best, so go with your gut (lol).

I've only had 1 flare and it was pretty awful, I think dropping 55 lbs was the worst part (6'5" went from 210 to 155) but didn't cause surgery so I feel lucky in that regard...I wouldn't say I'm flaring at the moment but wouldn't say I'm in remission either but I have started an all natural, organic, gluten free, dairy free diet that seems to be helping I gained 5 lbs back last month :) but I think that I wanna try EVERYTHING else before I get to the chemo drugs or biologics...on this one I have no choice but to "go with my gut" lol

I have been on 6-MP for approx 5 mos now and was just increased to 75MG last week. I take this in conjunction with remicade now bumped up to every 4 weeks from every 6 weeks. I have had some hair loss, and nausea as well as a low appetite. Usually within 3 weeks of being on my new dosage the fatigue subsides some, but the nausea remains as dose the low appetite. My thoughts were on both of the meds given all the side effects, I would rather have 5-15 years of remission than continue to feel as sick as I have been and was. I am VERY CLOSE TO remission :) per my GI last week. So to me it is worth the risk. But as others have said, it is your body, your choice. I wish you the best and hope you feel confident in your decision. I know it is scary, we are all here for you!

Xo
Michele

My thoughts were on both of the meds given all the side effects, I would rather have 5-15 years of remission than continue to feel as sick as I have been and was. I am VERY CLOSE TO remission :) per my GI last week. So to me it is worth the risk.
Congrats on being close to remission!:dance:
I agree with you; the way I am feeling, I would rather put up with the risks of a new med than to continue in this flare. I hope everything goes well, and you reach remission soon!!!

I took 6MP for about a year, dosage varying from 37.5mg-75mg. I would not worry about starting it as long as you're getting regular bloodwork done. When I first started taking 6MP, my doctor monitored my white counts and various metabolite testing pretty frequently, and he made adjustments to my dosage accordingly. I hope that it works well for you! I also found that taking 6MP right before I went to bed helped me to feel less tired and nauseated.

Catherine

My daughter has been on aza for 20 months. She appears to have no side effects. She is currently taking 150mg aza. She is in clinical remission.

I'm going to ask to try LDN and elemental nutrition shakes together bf I go to 6-mp...good luck Essieluv keep us updated on how the new meds r going

I have been on 6mp over 3 years now and I am doing very well. I am also on Lialda. I have an alternating dosage of 75 mgs and then I take 50 mgs the next day. I take blood tests at a regular level to make sure my white blood count and my liver function tests are okay. I know there is the slight chance of lymphoma with this drug but I think you run a greater risk of cancer from the active Crohn's Disease itself. I am very grateful to find a crohns medications that works so well for me.