• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Support Please

Currently stopped taking prednisone after four months
Reduced tablets etc

Monday was first day drug free and I'm feeling very odd at min

Headaches, lower back pain and mood swings

Is this normal and how long for :(

Abit worried hoping to get a reply soon

CrohnsChicago

Super Moderator
It's common to experience withdrawal symptoms as you taper and immediately after you are off of pred.

I had the same thing. Towards the last couple weeks of pred I had mood swings. When I finished I still had a few moody moments and felt really off and was making silly mistakes like spilling food while cooking or just feeling all around weird in a way that I can't even describe. Joint pain is also something I deal with for a little while after I stop pred. It did however fade after a few weeks. The pred just needs a little extra time to work its way out of your system and your adrenal glands need to readjust to being fully functioning again.

Give it some time and see what happens, but definitely make your GI aware of your withdrawal symptoms so that you have them on record and he can make suggestions to you wherever possible should you still have any issues coming off of pred. Good luck and hope you feel better soon! :hug:

Thanks crohns Chicago

Having an awful time at the moment. Been on the pred since June. Eight tabs a day then reduced each week up until now. Waiting to go on aizaphprine (spelt it wrong but ill and don't care ha).

Can't go on that until my chicken pox vaccination is clear and generally feel knacks red, tired and fed up.

Crohns is not my friend

Danny x