• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

My crohn's experience - so far

I have probably had Crohn's most of my life, but it was never diagnosed until two years ago. I am in my 70's and still work full time. I have been experiencing the effects of Crohn's but also have severe anemia with a hemoglobin that would drop to 5 within a few days. Initially it was thought that the anemia was caused by bleeding, but now that the bleeding has been reducing and the hemoglobin drop continues, my doctors are not sure there is not a second cause of the anemia. I have both an excellant gastrologist and onocologist. I have been on high Prednisone for two years to reduce bleeding. I started Remicade last Fall, which has allowed a reduction in Predisone, that I have almost eliminated. I also take Carafate, which seems to have helped promote some degree of healing in the colon. Unfortunately I have restriction in the colon and next moth will have colon surgery. I have been told by others who have had this surgery that it will reduce flares and bleeding. :)

David

Co-Founder
Hi there and welcome to the community :) I'm sorry to hear of your struggles :(

Have your doctors brought up the idea of Anemia of Chronic Disease? Have they tested your vitamin B12 level? If so, what was it?

All my best to you.

Sorry to hear you have been struggling with crohns for awhile, and I hope the doctors can figure out the cause of the anemia. I'm happy to hear you have such confidence in your gastro doc though. I know that having a great doctor you can trust is such an important part to getting answers and feeling better. Best of luck to you!